Tweaking Stock Premium Sound

This is a discussion on Tweaking Stock Premium Sound within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read a while ago that there are a few controls on the stock sub under the passenger seat. Anybody ...

Tweaking Stock Premium Sound

I read a while ago that there are a few controls on the stock sub under the passenger seat. Anybody have any recommendations to tweaking them to get the best possible sound out of the premium system?

Side question: I have a few rattles by the sub and door speakers. Anybody know how to get rid of these? I was thinking about putting a little dynamat around the door speakers, should take care of it. How about stopping the sub rattle? Would putting a little dynamat on the sub effect the sound?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There are two controls on the sub: Crossover point and gain.

CP controls the frequencies the sub will put out. The adjustment would depend on the type of music you like and how you want it to sound. I have mine set to cross at around 80hz because I have door speakers that have decent mid-bass response. I'm not sure of the frequency range of the stock premium speakers, but ideally you should play with it until you get the least sonic overlap possible between the doors and the sub. Pop in your favorite CD and play with it a while.

For gain (aka volume), you just need to tune it to personal preference. Obviously, you don't want it distorting all over the place, so don't turn it up too high. I like bass, so I have it turned up a bit from the factory setting. I've also already blown one sub, so be careful.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Can you explain 'sonic overlap?'

I don't want to blow anything...hmmm.

Sonic overlap happens when the main speakers and the sub are putting out the same frequencies at the same time. Due to the additive nature of waves, the frequency range that overlaps will sound extra loud. You'll notice a "booming" sound in the lower ranges. It sounds bad but it won't hurt your speakers.

You can dial out the overlap by playing with the cutoff point. You want the sub to take over sound production right below the frequency where your main speakers stop.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

Exactly!
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein