My dash/console mod
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on My dash/console mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey.. its pretty much the same as ryland's previous thread about it.. but for one exception. I scraped off all ...

gfx

My dash/console mod

Hey.. its pretty much the same as ryland's previous thread about it.. but for one exception. I scraped off all the green film on the back of the gauges (not fun to do) to allow the LEDs with red condoms on them to shine through. I don't know if he did that or not.. but.. check it out. The interior looks so much better like this

Last edited by gfx; 01-03-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That looks great!
    www.awdpirates.net

Looks nice! I was really confused for a second, it almost looks like you're boost gauge is integrated into the gauge cluster from those shots. Good work!
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

Wow thats really nice, I love the red lights ever since I sat in a STI that did all that stuff. How long did it take you to do all of that?

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

gfx
    Putting the condoms on the bulbs was quick.. but scraping the film off the back of the gauges was not. Took me about 2 hours.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit

damn....
    time pays off though

looks awesome!
    FP Green STi

How did you get the gauge faces off?? I tried, and all I've got to show for it is a sticky speedometer needle.

gfx
    I couldn't. I had to turn them over and scrape it off regardless of that plastic clear base being on. It was a PITA but it was worth it.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -

they look great
    Driving a FWD turbo is like masturbating. It is all fun until you realize that your just f***ing yourself.
    Get a real power AWD Turbo...

Originally posted by gfx
    I couldn't. I had to turn them over and scrape it off regardless of that plastic clear base being on. It was a PITA but it was worth it.
    Yikes.. What did you use to scrape it off? I used a dremel with a grinding stone on my cruise and fog buttons, was figuring on using the dremel with a fan brush if I ever got the faces off. I'll have to try this weekend.

gfx
    small flat head screw driver
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -

Originally posted by gfx
    small flat head screw driver
    Awesome job! looks very clean!
    better than the GREEN

question is, can you take some pics on how changed the colors for the HVAC?

I dont want to break anything , but maybe some steps on taking it apart and changing the condoms would be highly appreciated.

I have seen threads for the STi HVAC, but of course the WRX is different.

Help if you can, or anyone else.
    Thanx!
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

AWDrifter, the HVAC is pretty straight forward. Open it up (remove the center dash bezel, pull off HVAC knobs, pull off HVAC face) and pull the bulbs out. They're socketed and slide right in and out.

Awesome, ill try that later tonight or tomorrow!
    Did you put one red condom on or 2?
    I heard one looks too orange and 2 is the best.

what did you do?
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

I used LEDs from autolumination.com, dremeled to disperse the light better. The HVAC isn't at all orange that way. The center gauges have a #194 with red bulb cover on the 2 outter ones, and the center gauge has a #74 LED from the same site. For the fog and cruise buttons I scraped the green film off and used red bulb covers from partsexpress.com, which didn't turn out orange either. The stock gauges are regular bulbs with the red bulb covers, but I haven't scraped the film off yet and they turned out a dim kind of brown. Hopefully I'll get them fixed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.