My dash/console mod - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on My dash/console mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; id like to see this mod with the UV (purple) color... ive always liked VW's interior...

id like to see this mod with the UV (purple) color... ive always liked VW's interior
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do yourself a favor - DO NOT REMOVE YOUR NEEDLES

I went the full disassembly route (removed needles) and got all the green film off without a problem - until I re-assembled. The gauge needles do not work the way they used to and that's with re-installing and calibrating them as detailed earlier in this thread. I'll try again tomorrow but I think I'm screwed. My guess is I'll have to try to get it covered by Subaru by putting everything back like it was and saying... "it's not working right". Just do yourself a favor... don't remove or significantly disturb the needles.

Scott

here is my simple solution..
    buy this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gauges 2.jpg  
    FP Green STi

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interior 2.jpg  
    FP Green STi

I intend to, but I have to convince my wife that little red lights are worth $500. Looks awesome by the way.

Scott

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    So by scraping the back of the gauges or whatever, you made them clear? I want to make my gauges light up a white color to match my defi's.... You think that would work with just a white bulb underneath with no condom?

Using a white/clear bulb will end up looking yellow. You need to use a Hyperwhite/blue bulb that emits white light, similar to replacing your turn signals.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Hey guys, just thought I would reply to this thread since I just finished this mod. I did all three mods, the radio, HVAC, and the dash in red. The radio mod I actually bought from eBay. It came with bulb covers and detailed directions. It came out perfect. The HVAC mod was even easier. I just colored the bulbs with a red sharpie and then slipped on the 0.2 bulb covers from partsexpress. It matches the radio perfect.
    The dash was a different story. I colored the bulbs with a red sharpie just like the HVAC bulbs then slipped on either 0.12 or 0.2 bulb covers on the various bulbs depending on the size. The part that was difficult was getting the green film off the back of the gauge cluster. This is where I used very fine sand paper. It was way easier and faster. I wrapped the sand paper around a long thin screw driver on some parts of it. After that, I used the red sharpie again and colored over the sanded down areas. This made the gauges a darker red to match the radio and HVAC controls. Overall, I am very pleased with the results.
    Here is my only problem. After putting everything back together, I drove to work the next day only to find out that my speedo and tach are stuck at zero. I did not remove the needles, only moved them around as i was sanding. I have to go back now and remove the cluster and figure out why they are stuck on zero. I'm a little worried. Any suggestions?
    I will post some pics as soon as I get my camera back from my friend. Thanks guys.
    '02 WRX/STi

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    When I originally did this mod, my needles wouldn't move either. The needles must be perpendicular to the gauge face in order to smoothly move. LIGHTLY toggle the needle back and forth a bit. My friend was doing this to my tach needle to fix it and pushed too hard and... well, I now have an STi cluster I purchased off eBay.

But seriously, I think if you very lightly try and adjust the needle to become perpendicular again, you should have a perfectly working cluster. Best of luck!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

gfx
    Originally posted by GetawayInBouldr
    When I originally did this mod, my needles wouldn't move either. The needles must be perpendicular to the gauge face in order to smoothly move. LIGHTLY toggle the needle back and forth a bit. My friend was doing this to my tach needle to fix it and pushed too hard and... well, I now have an STi cluster I purchased off eBay.

But seriously, I think if you very lightly try and adjust the needle to become perpendicular again, you should have a perfectly working cluster. Best of luck!
    Yep, when I was working on it that happened to me a lot. Just fool around with it until it works again.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

Just wanted to let you guys know I got the speedo and tach working. Now it seems I have a problem with the fuel gauge. Wow, what a PITA. Any suggestions on that gauge. Let me know. Thanks.
    '02 WRX/STi

I have no idea with the fuel gauge. I was extremely careful around the fuel and temp gauges. I don't think they operate in the same fashion as the tach and speedo.

Did you move the fuel and temp needles around when clearing the green film? What exactly is the issue with the fuel gauge?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

i broke my temp part...
    but the fuel part seemed to fix itself automatically when i put it back on...
    i just got an sti cluster to solve everything, very good investment...lots of money and the odo issue, but oh well
    FP Green STi

GetawayInBouldr,

The fuel gauge doesn't seem to be working at all. It just stays in one spot. Yes, I did move the fuel and temp gauge needles around when I was removing the green film. I was very careful though. Do you think this is something that is fixable or am I f*****? I'm tempted to go to the dealer and say "hey, my fuel gauge is broke" and see what they say, but once they see everything is red they might tell me tough luck. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    '02 WRX/STi

you may have broke it..or it's stuck
    try lifting it and pushing it down into different places but be careful...
    having a bad fuel gauge would suck
    FP Green STi

Originally posted by aem421
    GetawayInBouldr,

The fuel gauge doesn't seem to be working at all. It just stays in one spot. Yes, I did move the fuel and temp gauge needles around when I was removing the green film. I was very careful though. Do you think this is something that is fixable or am I f*****? I'm tempted to go to the dealer and say "hey, my fuel gauge is broke" and see what they say, but once they see everything is red they might tell me tough luck. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

I would try toggleing the needle in the same fashion as your tach/speedo needle and then reseting the fuel gauge by moving it to its lowest position. I would not try lifting it as it might come off, and then you'll be SOL.

I don't know if I'd try to get it fixed under warranty. Read your local dealerships policy on warranty work. Because you've broken the gauge from modding it, the tech's will probably see this and you might get stuck with a bill for diagnosing the cluster (probably $200+). If the dealership can't bill SOA for their time spent working on your cluster, they will most likely bill you.

If you can't get the gauge working again, your other option would be to order a new fuel gauge/temp gauge section and swap it out. I know it can be done, but it doesn't look easy.

Of course, then you're going to have to re-scrape those gauges if you want your cluster to look right.
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.