My dash/console mod - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on My dash/console mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by VSGTS14 the circuit board is held on by the back of the needles motor... all you have ...

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    Originally posted by VSGTS14
    the circuit board is held on by the back of the needles motor...

all you have to do is make pull a good amount gently on the fuel/temp side first to loosen it...then do the middle, then the other side..till they are loose..
    i was afraid, but was careful and it'll be fine.

Once you get the back housing off, do you have easy/easier access to the green film? I was looking at it and there appears to be a piece of acrylic covering the back of the gauges. I take it this acyrlic piece comes off with the back housing.

Have you successfully done this? How'd it come out?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

Hi, greetings from a newbie in Singapore.

Been reading up a lot of good stuffs here. Wanna say that it is very informative and THUMBS UP for everyone including the moderators.

I have attempted to open the dash meters too, but just couldn't remove the needles. Is there a catch or trigger to release somewhere or is it purely grip that have to be loosen the hard way? Got so worry that I didn't go further for fear of screwing up the calibration...hahaha.

Hey enuff said, really luv this forum and you guys too. Hope someone can lead me on this so that my brudders in Singapore can do it like you guys. Thanks a million.

Thumbs up

Been reading up a lot of good stuffs here. Wanna say that it is very informative and THUMBS UP for everyone including the moderators.

I have attempted to open the dash meters too, but just couldn't remove the needles. Is there a catch or trigger to release somewhere or is it purely grip that have to be loosen the hard way? Got so worry that I didn't go further for fear of screwing up the calibration...hahaha.

Hey enuff said, really luv this forum and you guys too. Hope someone can lead me on this so that my brudders in Singapore can do it like you guys. Thanks a million.

Originally posted by sc00by936

Just by taking the needles off, you will lose calibration. That is the biggest problem with doing this mod.

Needles stay on = you keep calibration = Green film is a PITA to get to.

Take the needles off = you lose calibration = STi stylin dash, but needles getting stuck and jump around

I took out my gauges the other day so I could look at what I'm getting myself into and it is really going to suck removing that green film without screwing up a $300 piece of equipment...
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Yeah, agree with you on the PITA thingy! hahaa

I wonder how gfx did it. I did took a closer look at my guages film and there are some places extremely difficult to access to scratch off the green filament. I looked at gfx's pics and the light up coverage is very evenly spread.
    *Paging Gfx..........your expertise is much appreciated.*
    Anyway, thanks for your info : )

gfx
    Originally posted by sc00by936
    Yeah, agree with you on the PITA thingy! hahaa

I wonder how gfx did it. I did took a closer look at my guages film and there are some places extremely difficult to access to scratch off the green filament. I looked at gfx's pics and the light up coverage is very evenly spread.
    *Paging Gfx..........your expertise is much appreciated.*
    Anyway, thanks for your info : )
    I did it the hard way. The hard to access parts.. well.. were hard to access. It took a couple hours.. but it's well worth it!
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

Originally posted by gfx
    I did it the hard way. The hard to access parts.. well.. were hard to access. It took a couple hours.. but it's well worth it!
    Ok, so did you take off the circuit board and all or did you just scrape it the REAL hard way by lifting the gauge face up? Also, its cool to move the needles around, you just can't take them off, right?
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

gfx
    Originally posted by GetawayInBouldr
    Ok, so did you take off the circuit board and all or did you just scrape it the REAL hard way by lifting the gauge face up? Also, its cool to move the needles around, you just can't take them off, right?
    I did it the REAL hard way.. it was a super *****.

And it's cool to move the needles around.. it won't hurt the calibrations. But yeah just don't take them off
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit

Originally posted by gfx
    I did it the REAL hard way.. it was a super *****.

And it's cool to move the needles around.. it won't hurt the calibrations. But yeah just don't take them off

Thanks for the guide......I really admire your skill in doing it especially the center portion of the meter.......it's a killer spot. Yeah, just to confirm what you posted earlier, you used a flat tip screwdriver to scrape....I suppose it would be one of those so called jewel screwdriver for watch works.

Any other caution to note? Thanks again.

gfx
    Yeah it was a jewel one.. the really small ones. In some real tough spots you can use a razor knife.

No other notes of caution really.. it's not as hard as it is tedious.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -

Originally posted by gfx
    Yeah it was a jewel one.. the really small ones. In some real tough spots you can use a razor knife.

No other notes of caution really.. it's not as hard as it is tedious.
    gfx, you're the man

Thanks for the info, I'll post about how it all came out as soon as I get some time to tackle this b****...
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

Firstly, thank you to all who has helped me achieved my objective, especially to gfx.
    I have completed it today and have attached a pic. It was really hell, but worth every minute of suffering. To further share, I find the scraping of the fuel & temp guages most tedious. Also the removal of the green plastic for the 2 windows; odometer & outside temp was quite tricky.
    After doing it, the speedo & tachco didn't move. With the cluster attached back to the car, and the main plastic cover remove, I tried a few times 'tickling' the needles and it came back on. Lucky me, all guages went back on line.

Again, my thanks
    Last edited by sc00by936; 06-05-2004 at 01:31 PM.

gfx -- did you ever try the boost gauge I'd like to see if it matches the STi gauges

gfx and scooby936,

I'm in the process of doing this and have one question.

Did you guys scrape the greenfilm off of the back of the red sections? i.e. on the tach where redline is and on the fuel gauge.

I'm figureing yes, but want to double check. By the way, this seriously is a MAJOR PITA, but it should look dope when its all said and done. (Provided my needles still work )
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

don't scratch the film off the redline or you won't see it.
    FP Green STi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.