install electronic boost gauge
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on install electronic boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How is installing an electronic boost gauge different from installing a mechanical one? Does anyone have instructions on how to ...

install electronic boost gauge

How is installing an electronic boost gauge different from installing a mechanical one? Does anyone have instructions on how to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: install electronic boost gauge

Originally posted by austenf740
    How is installing an electronic boost gauge different from installing a mechanical one? Does anyone have instructions on how to do this?
    Although there's more components, it's usually easier.

You'll be tapping for a boost line as you would with a mechanical, but will only need to run the line a short distance to a control-unit which will often reside in the engine bay. From the control-unit a wiring harness will need to be run through the firewall to the head unit.

Greddys are this way, which each head having it's own controller. With Defis on the other hand you daisy-chain the gauges together and I believe they are driven from a single controller.

Not having to run a boost line through the firewall saves a major headache IMO. Electronic gauges, apart from being more accurate have an added coolness factor: When you turn the key, all the gauges come up to the 'home' point.

-Pace
    Last edited by pace; 07-09-2002 at 04:38 PM.

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar

Re: Re: install electronic boost gauge

Originally posted by pace

Although there's more components, it's usually easier.

You'll be tapping for a boost line as you would with a mechanical, but will only need to run the line a short distance to a control-unit which will often reside in the engine bay. From the control-unit a wiring harness will need to be run through the firewall to the head unit.

Greddys are this way, which each head having it's own controller. With Defis on the other hand you daisy-chain the gauges together and I believe they are driven from a single controller.

Not having to run a boost line through the firewall saves a major headache IMO. Electronic gauges, apart from being more accurate have an added coolness factor: When you turn the key, all the gauges come up to the 'home' point.

-Pace
    This might be a dumb questions but people have been telling me I can get a cheap but good boost gauge from summitracing.com or something like that. Its called the autometer I believe. Is this one electronic?

Re: Re: Re: install electronic boost gauge

Originally posted by PhreeZe
    This might be a dumb questions but people have been telling me I can get a cheap but good boost gauge from summitracing.com or something like that. Its called the autometer I believe. Is this one electronic?
    Autometer may have electronic gauges, but most likely if its 'cheap' then its a mechanical gauge. These are probably ok if you just want to tinker with your boost a little, but I strongly favor electronic gauges not least because they are easier to install.

-Pace

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: install electronic boost gauge

Originally posted by pace

Autometer may have electronic gauges, but most likely if its 'cheap' then its a mechanical gauge. These are probably ok if you just want to tinker with your boost a little, but I strongly favor electronic gauges not least because they are easier to install.

-Pace
    I just want something I can when I get my MBC.

defi

hard to find defi package in a decent price now, gosh i wish i can still get it for 800 from god, but its now 1000 bucks.. now i might just have to use my a pillar with the cheap autometer carbon fiber series setup..
    Nothing happens until something moves

Re: defi

Originally posted by gqzboy
    hard to find defi package in a decent price now, gosh i wish i can still get it for 800 from god, but its now 1000 bucks.. now i might just have to use my a pillar with the cheap autometer carbon fiber series setup..
    Greddy are very nice also, and are significantly cheaper than Defi gauges.

A boost gauge will run you around $150.

-Pace

sid

greddy boost gauge

for those with greddy electronic boost gauges, what should it read at idle? i turn the ignition right before engine start the needle sets to 0, at idle it's reading way below 0, near the 500 range. is this normal? i tapped at the bov line with a hks bov installed if this makes any difference. thanks.

Re: greddy boost gauge

Originally posted by sid
    for those with greddy electronic boost gauges, what should it read at idle? i turn the ignition right before engine start the needle sets to 0, at idle it's reading way below 0, near the 500 range. is this normal? i tapped at the bov line with a hks bov installed if this makes any difference. thanks.
    That's normal.

-Pace

autometer mechanical boost gauges are fairly accurate. For boost, mechanical is gonna be a better choice as it is often quicker, it is probably the only type of gauge where mechanical is preferred over electrical. running the line through the firewall is easy as autometer vacuum/boost lines are small and fairly rigid

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.