EGT guage/probe issue. Need Help.

This is a discussion on EGT guage/probe issue. Need Help. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just installed my egt gauge and probe a few days ago and it's not working. I double checked all ...

EGT guage/probe issue. Need Help.

I just installed my egt gauge and probe a few days ago and it's not working. I double checked all the wiring and connections and everything seems to be correct. I have a VDO gauge and a TRE egt probe.

The gauge did work for a split second but went back to zero after going up only one notch on the gauge. Is there any way to test if the probe or gauge are working properly? A list of things to check would be great. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

svc
    Make sure the grounding wire is solid...are you getting lights on the gauge but no reading, or nothing at all?
    sammAy!

SMC

EGT

Pull the probe & heat it up with a lighter or torch- if it don't read on the guage you probably have a broken wire somewhere......thermocouples either work or they don't.

The light on the gauge works fine so I know that part is fine. I grounded the wire from the gauge to the same wire as the light in the gauge. Here's a link to the wiring diagram for the vdo gauge courtesy of eguages.com Diagram

How likely is it that the probe itself is bad? I think I better triple-ck the wiring again and make sure everything is hooked up properly and securely.

I noticed something while looking at the signal wire. I hope I'm not this retarded but the wire is composed of three wires. Theres a yellow and a red. But the red is composed of two more individual wires (copperish-looking and a steelish-looking). Is this normal?

I was under the impression that there would be only two wires... this third wire is really throwing me off now. Can someone please help clarify this signal wire issue. I think this is the reason why the gauge is not working... hopefully...

Okay... got it. Figured out the whole wire situation... I used 2 of the three wires and my power wire wasn't giving enough juice so I found a better connection. Works fine now.