Don't get an autometer boost gauge - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Don't get an autometer boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oh btw, where is a good place to find those Omori guages, I've never heard of them before. Para...

Oh btw, where is a good place to find those Omori guages, I've never heard of them before.

Para

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also, when my car is ideling, my vac is at like 16, I believe it should be at about 19 or 20, so im sure I have a problem with the install.
    -2006 WRX Wagon-

Defi Own3s Joooo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bling.jpg  
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

I think it's installed correctly because it reads TOO much boost.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by ilivas
    I think it's installed correctly because it reads TOO much boost.
    Did you do the map calibration for the UTEC? I live at sea level so it was not neccessary. What altitude are you at?
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Dream
    Kurlee,
    Did you have any issues with the gauge not reading boost correct?
    Not until the dial fell off. LOL!!!!

Yes, the boost gauge would never go back to zero after the car was turned off. The dial would always sit a little under zero. And then, on my way to work one morning, I was under boost in a straightaway at WOT, I look down and I see the dail fall off. I was like W T F ??? Needless to say, I will NEVER buy Autometer gauges EVER again for any car I ever drive. And like I wrote above, this happened to 2 seperate Autometer Boost gauges I had, not just one incident.

probably about 800 feet above sea level. How do I calibrate the map on the utec?
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by ilivas
    probably about 800 feet above sea level. How do I calibrate the map on the utec?
    Just to be clear I'm referring to the map (manifold absolute pressure or something) sensor. Its in the TXS UTEC manual I believe. Should be a couple of threads around too. I dont know if 800 feet is enough to throw it off, maybe.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Ahh the battles of ghetto gauges. i just installed my top of the line jcwhitney boost gauge ($17)

Ive got the 4eat. Ive seen it peak at 14psi for a second but normally always around 13 then decreases further into the gear. Makes me wonder if i got a boost issue or the gauge is just crap?

It sits on zero. But went i just start the car and let it idle the needle bounces really fast back and forth between 19 and 20 vac. And when i floor it and boost builds it makes a rattle noise. Whats a good 52MM Mechanical Boost gauge replacement? This thing works but its just wierding me out with its quirks.

tan
    Originally posted by skyjock41
    Ahh the battles of ghetto gauges. i just installed my top of the line jcwhitney boost gauge ($17)

Ive got the 4eat. Ive seen it peak at 14psi for a second but normally always around 13 then decreases further into the gear. Makes me wonder if i got a boost issue or the gauge is just crap?

It sits on zero. But went i just start the car and let it idle the needle bounces really fast back and forth between 19 and 20 vac. And when i floor it and boost builds it makes a rattle noise. Whats a good 52MM Mechanical Boost gauge replacement? This thing works but its just wierding me out with its quirks.
    My VDO makes that rattle noise also.

You need a restrictor in the T-fitting for the line that goes to the boost gauge

See pic below. It costs $6 for that fitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 42003.jpg  

Originally posted by paragonwrx
    Oh btw, where is a good place to find those Omori guages, I've never heard of them before.

Para

I got mine from J-Spec Tuning.

http://j-spectuning.com/omorimain.htm

Thanks for the info Racenut.

Para

I have the CF Autometer Boost/Vac gauge as well. I ditched the stock nylon line and fittings and went with 1/8" vac line and brass barbed fittings. My only mods are gutted up and down pipes and I peak around 15 - 15.5 psi and then settles down to 14 - 14.5 psi. In 5th it peaks at 16!!! I don't know whether to believe it or not. I'm definitely getting some better gauges when the cash flow picks up along with many other goodies. The only reason I bought the Autometer is because I got it and the mounting cup for around $35 so I'm not too upset.

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    Hey racenut, Did you get mechanical or elec., and does the needle sit @ 0?
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
    Hey racenut, Did you get mechanical or elec., and does the needle sit @ 0?
    Electric.

When turned off, the needle drops to 30 whatever measurement that is vacuum... When the key is turned on, but no motor running, the needle sits at zero... start the car and of course it reads whatever boost/vac is sees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.