where to tap for boost gauge
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on where to tap for boost gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got the autometer gauge and cup for a dash mount, but I am wondering if anyone has pics of ...

where to tap for boost gauge

Just got the autometer gauge and cup for a dash mount, but I am wondering if anyone has pics of where to tap into BOV line. Is it under the intercooler?? Any help or pics would be great!
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question

OK, so I gather from this that the fuel pressure regulator line shows a boost reading?? I have an autometer gauge, so I was a bit confused on this point. If anyone has installed an autometer gauge for boost, does this work??
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

You're going to find that this is where most people have tapped theirs (myself included). I have the autometer ultralite 2 1/4" boost gauge. Both the OEM and the autometer are mechanical gauges, so yep, it will work. Someone wanna back me up or something?

Thanks for the advice, I will hopefully have some numbers soon now!

I also have the auto meter boost gauge and it works great.

OK, im sure i sound like a moron now, but I have never touched a turboed engine. What size is the line to the fuel pressure regulator? I went to the shop and found a bunch of brass T-fittings, but i had no idea what size to get, and the guys at the shop didnt know squat..........Just thought i would ask someone who has done it before. thanks again

Originally posted by dcraw6782
    OK, im sure i sound like a moron now, but I have never touched a turboed engine. What size is the line to the fuel pressure regulator? I went to the shop and found a bunch of brass T-fittings, but i had no idea what size to get, and the guys at the shop didnt know squat..........Just thought i would ask someone who has done it before. thanks again
    Man dont tap the FPR...It is way too hard to get at....

What people refer to as the FPR is not actually the FPR but the Purge Valve. The FPR is a very short hose under the intake (left side of car when you pop the hood)

Tap it at the BOV or at the front of the manifold. It will take you all of 15 mins tops. On my car I have tried tapping at BOV, FPR and Manifold and got the exact same readings at all spots.

I have pics and can show you if your after them.

I have an autometer guage mounted on the steering column and it works great.

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Any pics would be great, as like I said, I have never touched a turboed engine, and I want to do this right the first time. Also, I was wondering where you could tap a wire that will let you fade the gauge the same as the others with the dash dimmer? Anyone know which fuse that is??

In that link I gave you, they are actually tapping in at the BOV. To let you dim your gauges lights with your dash light dimming switch, tap into the plug that's shown in the link I gave you. Your lights will dim using that one (the one that comes off the back of the stereo).

i just installed my gauge last week.

tap the fuel pressure regulator. it's not that hard to tap and tee.

for the dimming illumination, behind the stereo (pop off the dash face, real easy) there are 6 screws, pull out the unit, and there is a plug into the back of the stereo witha loose end. plug into the loose end, no need to disconnect anything. piece of cake.

dR
    Last edited by dark_rex; 07-05-2002 at 10:13 AM.

My autometer tap point:

Also. Tap the light as per the previous post. I removed the stereo facia and actually tapped 2 lines to the light for the cig lighter. That is a dimming light...works perfect also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101-0174_img.jpg  
    Last edited by michaelwrx; 07-03-2002 at 05:23 AM.
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

More:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101-0175_img.jpg  
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Last one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101-0176_img.jpg  
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

MichaelWRX - thanks a lot for the pics, and to wrxinthehouse too - got the boost gauge installed, and it looks great. I am getting reading of about 15mmHg vacume at idle, and by third gear, i max out at about 13psi of boost. Thanks for all your help, now its on to the uppipe and EBC!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.