Dash lighting

This is a discussion on Dash lighting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I ordered a bunch of leds ( http://autolumination.com/74.htm ) to change the color of my interior lighting. First I did ...

Dash lighting

I ordered a bunch of leds (http://autolumination.com/74.htm) to change the color of my interior lighting. First I did my HVAC in red. The light wasn't dispersed well at all, so I used a dremel to shape the led better and it helped a lot.

Assuming the gauges were set up about the same, I went ahead and dremeled them the same way. It didn't work at all. I could hardly see any light from the leds. So I took them all out and took the dremel to them again to make them flat, and it didn't help at all. Now I'm confused as to what I need to do to make my gauges look good again I couldn't find any covers for #74 incandescent bulbs -- partsexpress.com is out. Anyone care to help?

I'm pretty disappointed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

If your talking about your cluster you might be able to get some nice white face gauges to cover the regualr ones up. I got mine off Ebay for less than $30 and they have their own built in lights which will cover up your originals.

tan
    How about getting those red lens paint and paint those #74 bulbd red?

Alright, I can't do this work in the car, but I can't test it in the house. Can anyone tell me where to hook up a 12v power supply to the gauge cluster that would simulate having the headlights turned on?

stealth -- I like the stock gauge faces. Thanks though
    Last edited by qoncept; 04-02-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Ok is what you want to do is remove the dash cluster and you will see there is 3 different harness plugs that go into the top of the cluster. You will be using the plug all the way on the right side (when sitting in the drivers seat). It is also the plug that goes over the tach portion. Find the solid purple wire and splice your new lights into it. You will then be able to control the lights on and off when you use the normal headlight controller. So your new lights will be off when your headlights are off and they will turn on when you put the headlights in parking light mode or just on. Any other questions and I'll be glad to help since I just did this myself last week

i did this and it was the biggest PITA ever. For the hvac controls basically what i had to do were rig up leds so that there were 3 in each little light socket...1 facing up, and 2 facing out to the sides..that way i got really good light disperson.

Originally posted by aaronwillen
    i did this and it was the biggest PITA ever. For the hvac controls basically what i had to do were rig up leds so that there were 3 in each little light socket...1 facing up, and 2 facing out to the sides..that way i got really good light disperson.
    I got the HVAC looking pretty decent with 1 led per socket from autolumination.com. It's the gauges I'm having trouble with, and I almost ruined them tonight taking them apart to see why the light isnt getting through.

It turns out that directly above the light there is an opaque piece of plastic. This is (surely) to prevent hotspots while the ambient light illuminates the gauge. Great with an incandescent bulb, but not cool with a focused LED. I don't know what to do now -- I can't find bulb covers that'll fit #74 bulbs (anyone know of a place other than partsexpress.com???) and I can't figure out how to get the gauges off of the bezel without ruining them to try to rig up another LED solution.

If someone could get me a stock gauge pinout, it'd help with my testing. Of course I'm still stuck. Thanks in advance!

i am actually going to take my indiglo gauges off tomorrow because i think the stock ones look better actually. I was under the impression that the stock gauges have green plastic under the numbers so they cant be changed?

Originally posted by aaronwillen
    i am actually going to take my indiglo gauges off tomorrow because i think the stock ones look better actually. I was under the impression that the stock gauges have green plastic under the numbers so they cant be changed?
    They do. I was thinking about either trying to get that off with a dremel (not likely I'll try that), but other people that have done it have just used another color like red or blue that'll over power the green. There is a thread full of pictures of people that have done it.

I just can't figure out how to get the faces off

i am going to try to do this today...ill let you know if i can figure anything out!!!

I found out one thing last night -- be really careful or you'll screw up the needles. They can be persuaded back in to place but it's kinda scary. If you wanna talk today my name is qoncept on aim.