Dash lighting

This is a discussion on Dash lighting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Changed my interior lighting a bit (Rex '04). Mainly followed the ideas outlined here: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=44681 ... (thank you, Sisqocqk, for ...

Dash lighting

Changed my interior lighting a bit (Rex '04). Mainly followed the ideas outlined here:

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=44681

... (thank you, Sisqocqk, for great job) but with some modifications.

Ignition switch I ended up putting part of a blue baloon on the tip of the blue bulb for a result I liked better. Used a 74 from row two.

HVAC I ended up using 74s, instead of 194s. Less bright, but worked for my interior. Used 74s from row one (on merchant site.) I sanded all these leds.

Fog light and cruise control I ended up with two blue baloons on each -- plus scraping away green film with a screwdriver. A bit messy, but seemed best alternative for my objective.

Dash lights: Used blue 74s from top row. Sanded all these. A bit dim. Didn't like how the odometer turned out -- with a bright spot in the center. Using a baloon on top didn't help. Ended up putting original bulb back in, but with two blue baloons on it. End result on the odometer had some teal too it. Not thought of a better solution yet. One problem I have here is that the red needles do not light up (noticably?) anymore. Anyone come up against (and solved) either the needle or the odometer problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is what I ended up doing in the instrument cluster:

Blue leds as noted above. Condoms on odometer. Bought a blue led lighting kit that has three beams that can be aimed. This kit (bought at Fred Meyer -- should be widely available) sits in front of the gauge cluster and lights it up -- nice both during daytime when it's a bit dark outside, and at night to light up those red needles. These leds are currently plugged into the cigarette lighter, but I'll wire it in later. Oh, I ended up putting plue condoms on these leds too, to get the right light strength and shade.

I think these were termed Mood Lights and sold by Bell (bellautomotive.com). I did not, however, see the product on their site.

Aside from this, I believe I've read of a few people who've spent a few hours removing the green film behind the gauge cluster -- though I would not do it, I must admit.