So my MD10 is dead...now I need a new 10" sub...help?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on So my MD10 is dead...now I need a new 10" sub...help? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; One day near the end of last summer, I was just cruising along with some friends and totally didn't even ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

So my MD10 is dead...now I need a new 10" sub...help?

One day near the end of last summer, I was just cruising along with some friends and totally didn't even think about my sub grill not being on. Next thing I know I hear a popping sound coming from the trunk, which happened to be my friend's Nalgene bottle hitting the sub. It made some dents in the sub but it still worked ok, albeit not looking too pretty.

This fall I got some water damage on my amp, so I had to send it in for repair. As it was out of the car, I was using my trunk again, and stupid me of course didn't even think about putting the grill on the sub. After switching catbacks, I put my old Blitz Nur Spec R in the trunk, figuring that was long enough piping that it wouldn't be hitting the sub anyway. Little did I know, it slid over a bit and one of the hangers pretty much scraped and ripped my sub. It was very extremely stupid of me, so now I'm out of a sub after just getting my amp back from Xtant.

Thus, I'm in the market for a new 10" sub. I'm looking for one that'll work with .75 cu. ft. of sealed enclosure range, which is pretty much what I got in my sub enclosure. The sub will be powered by an Xtant 2200ix 400w amp. I was looking at the JL 10w3 as suggested by my installer, but I'd like some other opinions as well. I'm trying to stay on a budget but I want the best I can get for my money really. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

JL's seem to work very well in small enclosures.........I am currently looking at the xtant subs.......what price range are you looking to stay witin?
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Image Dynamics or Elemental Designs.
    I really like Image Dynamics 10" subs.
    I'm not a big fan of JL, personally.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing over $300. I don't have too much to spend right now, since all my funds are going to some new mods for HIN on May 1st...
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

the Image Dynamics ID10 sub requires .4 to .8 cu. ft. of space... the next step up is the IDQ10 and it needs a little more, but is still in your .75 cu. ft. range...
    o-|-<) bryan
    p.s. the ID10 is at SoundDomain.com for $100 (its what i'm gonna get...)

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Yeah the IDQ is a great value. Armin, if you want a sub that is a little more bling bling () you might want to look into Resonant Engineering's XXX sub-woofer. The basket and cone on it are pretty nice, but I forget off-hand the recommended box volume. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Image Dynamics, though.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    I definitely need something with more bling...my car's a show car after all. I'll be shopping around here this weekend so we'll see.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.