Gauge Mounting options - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauge Mounting options within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What about utilizing the ash tray and lighter compartment on the 05-07's You could even retain the door to the ...

What about utilizing the ash tray and lighter compartment on the 05-07's You could even retain the door to the compartment in theory.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AutoMeter Cobalt and Instrument Bezel WRX MY02/3/4

Just finished this and an LED swap in the OEM WRX cluster, I am waiting on an 04 Impreza cluster with the larger bezel rings... better matching of the bezels for sure. LEDs are more effective in MY04 clusters also. The gel film is better engineered. I used blue SMT LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They are 194s, and took some modding to add, so I ordered the 74s that the cluster uses, and will be changing out to the new cluster with those. Pics of that coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gauge Bezel02.jpg  

More going into this cluster

I just recieved a new instrument cluster for this setup, one not yet modded at all, obviously. I did rather a shoddy job with the wiring, and used what I have since learned are inferior LEDs. What I ordered is the AC AutoTechnic S7 gauge kit, an Aluminum bezel from inferno (really perfect machining), A set of instrument cluster LEDs from ZeroPoint Electronics in Australia, and will keep the AutoMeter bezel cluster and it's gauges.

Anyone who followed me this far on the dash project knows that this is my second time around doing this with this cluster, and a knowledgeable tech is helping me this time. He made me a set of sealed LEDs for the whole dash, all plug-n-play excepting those needing a quick soldering.

Next gauge mod will be a double pillar and clock pod (ATI w/ Aluminum trimplate and Cobalt gauges).

I just want the stock cluster dressed to kill first. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but it has to beat the junk LEDs I got from SuperBrightLEDs...

Quote Originally Posted by humara View Post
    i went low profile and installed an LED gauge into the clock housing.
    i park on the street and don't want someone braking in to steal $100 worth of gauges.
    someone already stole my girlfriend's crappy $75 car stereo.

there gotta be a write up!

My DYI A Pillar guage mount
    And I painted the other one to match.

R.I.P 2004 Supercharged Miata
    Hellllllooooo 2009 WRX

New AC Autotechnic S7 overlays and AutoMeter Bezel

Pic should explain everything...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gauges.jpg  

Ya that looks sik..

Quote Originally Posted by CadetARP View Post
    Yo, here's the resources I used to get started. I modified these designs a little to make it fit my car. Also, some of the references and parts numbers have been updated and I had to research a lot. If I get a chance, I'll post my updated parts number list and where I got everything from.

AudiWorld Tech Articles
    AudiWorld Tech Articles
    SWEET!

Thanks for the links!

Sounds Sophisticated...

It sounds to me like a really fun project, but the long term result is my only issue.
    I know an LED will not stay lit for it's whole life expectancy when kept burning constantly, but when cycled the material can cool enough to prevent crazing of the plastic (the most common cause of death in an LED). If you run LEDs in your cluster, you know what I mean, and last time, you got a few years worth, since ordering them is as PITA as installing them.

Do you have a backup board for burned out LEDs?

I can only imagine that the LED board was a major task to make visually correct, and a burnout would have me really steaming.
    If so, is it fully modular? The data cable looks like it ought to allow another board to be made, something to keep in the boot for that day before a show when the coolest mod you have inevitably gets messed up or goes missing...

n'then... there's proabably enough readers (going from hits to this thread) to warrant a market for what you did... meaning, yeah, it's sick@** and I already know a guy who'd pay you more than you would ask for a setup like that in his GST Spyder Eclipse... Now since he's a FWD guy, talk me into telling him about you...
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 04-10-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Misspelled more ish, the usual

Quote Originally Posted by AjIsDope View Post
    I like this, where can I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by l2yan View Post
    I like this, where can I find it?
    I can't find anything specific like that one...that link doesn't work and AMZ Performance, when googled, doesn't have it on their site now.

I did a quick Google search and you can find many different options. I assume you mean the HUD though (Heads Up Display)

heads up display - Google Product Search
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    It sounds to me like a really fun project, but the long term result is my only issue.
    I know an LED will not stay lit for it's whole life expectancy when kept burning constantly, but when cycled the material can cool enough to prevent crazing of the plastic (the most common cause of death in an LED). If you run LEDs in your cluster, you know what I mean, and last time, you got a few years worth, since ordering them is as PITA as installing them.

Do you have a backup board for burned out LEDs?

I can only imagine that the LED board was a major task to make visually correct, and a burnout would have me really steaming.
    If so, is it fully modular? The data cable looks like it ought to allow another board to be made, something to keep in the boot for that day before a show when the coolest mod you have inevitably gets messed up or goes missing...

n'then... there's proabably enough readers (going from hits to this thread) to warrant a market for what you did... meaning, yeah, it's sick@** and I already know a guy who'd pay you more than you would ask for a setup like that in his GST Spyder Eclipse... Now since he's a FWD guy, talk me into telling him about you...
    I think you were referring to my LED boost gauge I made so...

I considered the fact that LEDs have a limitied life span. I made everything reversible except for the holed I drilled into the gauge cluster and glueing the LEDs in. If one goes bad I'll have to dig it out and replace it. I've already got ideas for a modular piece that will just be inserted from the top into the holes already cut and look a little cleaner.

The gauge is calibrated to light the first light at about 4lbs boost so they only come on when I'm hauling and stay off during normal everyday driving.

I just did a VF 39 turbo and intercooler swap, mapped it with Cobb AP and now I'll have to recalibrate the gauge because I'm running about 2lbs higher boost and the red warning LEDs are lighting.

Anyway, if nothing else I learned a lot and I had two boards manufactured and can send out for more in about 2 minutes online.

Later.

Oh yeah, and it scrolls up and down with boost pressure light the Kit, the Knight Rider car. Word!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I miss my old gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I miss my old gauges.

Hey, what is that and where can I get one??
    2007 WRX Limited Wagon in WR Blue
    COBB AP/ Stage 1
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #3.2.1

Real music about Real life, check out:
    www.myspace.com/soulfatronic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.