Gauge Mounting options - Page 13
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauge Mounting options within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello gauge thread people! I have a quick question for the experts. I've been reading up lately on switching the ...

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Hello gauge thread people!

I have a quick question for the experts. I've been reading up lately on switching the stock 42mm boost gauge for an omori 45mm gauge. The main reason is the readings would be in psi rather than kpa. I've read up on how to fit the omori gauge into the stock rubber housing, which brings up my question: would it be possible to just reuse the pre-existing oem wiring and vacuum lines with the new omori gauge or would it be necessary to replace these with the new supplied omori hardware?

Thanks, guys.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    Hello gauge thread people!

I have a quick question for the experts. I've been reading up lately on switching the stock 42mm boost gauge for an omori 45mm gauge. The main reason is the readings would be in psi rather than kpa. I've read up on how to fit the omori gauge into the stock rubber housing, which brings up my question: would it be possible to just reuse the pre-existing oem wiring and vacuum lines with the new omori gauge or would it be necessary to replace these with the new supplied omori hardware?

Thanks, guys.
    Is the Omori an electrical or a mechanical boost gauge? From what I understand...if its mechanical, it can just connect right up, considering you make the fittings compatible (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, its been awhile since I've seen a replacing OEM gauge question/thread). If its electrical, you will probably have to wire it for the sender unit (new wiring)...hope this helps you out some
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Is the Omori an electrical or a mechanical boost gauge? From what I understand...if its mechanical, it can just connect right up, considering you make the fittings compatible (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, its been awhile since I've seen a replacing OEM gauge question/thread). If its electrical, you will probably have to wire it for the sender unit (new wiring)...hope this helps you out some
    It comes in both electrical and mechanical, but you are indeed correct in the mechanical hooking right up. A few minutes after my previous post, I happened to stumble on a writeup of somebody who did just what I was asking about. The omori will definitely hook right up with just a few wire connections and reconnection of the vacuum line. Thanks for your help!

(Link to the writeup in case anybody else is interested.)
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

help me

i havee an 04, is it necessary i get a gage pod/pillar if i have the cobb AP? i like to have it out of my perif for quick referance but is it really necessary or needed?

no its not neccesary to have the apillar pod with ap. they also have the gauge pods for where the clock is, another set-up has 2 around the sterring wheel, another has it so you can put them in your glove box. theres a whole bunch of set-ups to do.

an AFR gauge is always nice to have though
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by NjBuGeyEdWRX View Post
    no its not neccesary to have the apillar pod with ap. they also have the gauge pods for where the clock is, another set-up has 2 around the sterring wheel, another has it so you can put them in your glove box. theres a whole bunch of set-ups to do.

wel yea. i knoew theres a slew of different options but if i needed them, i would do the pillar on my drivers side as apposed to the dash group like in 05-07 models. they just didnt have a convenient little tool like the AP for my SRT-4 so now im relearning automotives. thanks for youer help though. so... can you drive with the AP plugged in(car NOT in "test" mode)? have it mounted on the dash left of the stearing wheel? does it light up btw? thx again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger
    i havee an 04, is it necessary i get a gage pod/pillar if i have the cobb AP? i like to have it out of my perif for quick referance but is it really necessary or needed?
    Look into permanent mounts for the AP. I know Nasioc has many threads with pictures, and I've seen a few on here. However, the AP can only display one "Live Data" function at a time. This is why having gauges would be beneficial, as you can have as more information displayed to you at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by NjBuGeyEdWRX

Make sure that gauge is wideband.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    pics or DIAF

kidding of course...but it would be sweet to see a pic of that. Never saw that before.

Zero Sports Gauge Pod - Gauge Mounting Solutions
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX Boost Gauge 033.jpg 
Views:	2180 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	82076

Name:	WRX Boost Gauge 034.jpg 
Views:	2136 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	82077

Name:	WRX Boost Gauge 014.jpg 
Views:	2794 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	82078

Well, after weeks of deliberation with myself, I said, "Self, you are going to make your own boost gauge." So, self began researching, designing, modifying and eventually soldering my own boost gauge for my 06 WRX. It's not as cool as some stuff out there, but I'm pretty proud of it. If anyone is interested in building their own I can point you in the right direction of the resources I used. Total cost was about 180$ (had to buy a soldering iron). Please let me know what you think! The pictures aren't the greatest because I had to take them while driving on the freeway. Each light is 2 lbs (4 reds, 2 yellows, 2 greens, and 2 reds) from 2-20 lbs boost. Fully calibratable, which I'm pretty sure is not a word. It scrolls up and down like Knight Rider!
    Last edited by CadetARP; 01-22-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Here's the actual circuit i built and how I mounted the LEDs through my gauge cluster.

Name:	WRX Boost Gauge 005.jpg 
Views:	2150 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	82079

Name:	WRX Boost Gauge 008.jpg 
Views:	2166 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	82080

Registered User streetfighterkz's Avatar
    CadetARP,

That's really cool. It reminds me of the Datatool RevLight I bought for one of my motorcycles.

Later, Doug

CadetARP - that's awesome!!

Please, point me in the direction of the resources!!

I'm always looking for fun hobby circuits, and it would be a nice change of pace to have one that actually serves a real purpose

Yo, here's the resources I used to get started. I modified these designs a little to make it fit my car. Also, some of the references and parts numbers have been updated and I had to research a lot. If I get a chance, I'll post my updated parts number list and where I got everything from.

AudiWorld Tech Articles
    AudiWorld Tech Articles

Quote Originally Posted by CadetARP View Post
    Yo, here's the resources I used to get started. I modified these designs a little to make it fit my car. Also, some of the references and parts numbers have been updated and I had to research a lot. If I get a chance, I'll post my updated parts number list and where I got everything from.

AudiWorld Tech Articles
    AudiWorld Tech Articles
    Thanks a lot! I'll check these out. This looks like a fun project!

Instrument light for my boost gauge...

I bought a 05 WRX last week...The boost gauge works fine...but the instrument light on it dosen't work....does anybody know where the light connection connect to in the engine bay? or where it leads tooo or if theres a pictorial diagram on how to install boost gauges?

back light installation?

Can you explain how you connected the backlight plugs for your boost gage? thanks!