What gauges do I need? Yes, I searched...

This is a discussion on What gauges do I need? Yes, I searched... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, i'm new to turbo cars (just got my wrx) and i'm wondering what gauges im going to need. ...

What gauges do I need? Yes, I searched...

Hey everyone, i'm new to turbo cars (just got my wrx) and i'm wondering what gauges im going to need. can someone please list what they are and their functions? i already know that i'll need a boost pressure gauge, but as far as the others (exhaust temp, oil temp, pressure, etc. im lost---thanks for the help....any other info for a newbie would also be appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well the topic has been beaten to death but I'll save you some of the hassle...the car really only needs a boost gauge and e.g.t (exhaust gas temperature) gauges when you start to slightly modify your car...these gauges make sure you can monitor if you over boost and if your car is running hard and/or rich/lean with the e.g.t gauge.

The nest step in gauges are oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressure and water temperature. Oil pressure is obvious, but the reasoning is if you have insufficient oil pressure you can hurt the motor/make it run hotter then normal by a lack of lubrication. Oil temp is another obvious one and again, if you are running your car hard you want to make sure the oil isn't too hot because that means your car will be running like crap. Fuel pressure, well if your fuel pressure is low again your car will be knocking and detonation and you can easily blow the engine if you don't keep on top of this. Last is temp, now the car has that hot/cold gauge but its been said on many imports that once the car reaches operating temp the needle barely moves, now if you are running the car hard once again a real time moving gauge lets you know how hot the engine is running. Sorry to be so vauge but thats a general description of what most of the popular gauges do.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

i like the boost/egt/oil temp combo.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

thanks for the help so far...its greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    i like the boost/egt/oil temp combo.
    i have those, and then added water temp and oil pressure. you would be amazed how much the water temp fluctuates. the stock dummy gauge really does nothing.
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver