newbie Q about audio: help

This is a discussion on newbie Q about audio: help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im looking to upgrade my audio but i have no clue what to do, im always hearing guys say stuff ...

newbie Q about audio: help

im looking to upgrade my audio but i have no clue what to do, im always hearing guys say stuff about subs and i see those little siver boxes in the back....anyways i was wondering whats a good set up, maybe like 2 big speakers "subs" and stuff. anyways i was just wondering whats a good setup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, what's important to you? Do you want your music really loud with bass that gives you a massage or do you just want to save on weight and have a system that sounds good? In my last car I decided to just get sub-woofers, amps, and head unit since I did not keep the car for very long. Once I get a WRX or Legacy GT I'll be getting some good component speakers to finish up the system. Perhaps you could start with a new head unit/cd player and some better speakers and decide where to go from there.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

well i would like alot of bass and be able to play my music as loud as i want without it sounding ****ty. i dont really care about weight too much, although i dont want ALOT of weight. i want to be able to "feel" the music.

Ok. Well, I recommend that you upgrade the stock speakers to some pretty good aftermarket component speakers and get at least 1 sub-woofer, either a 10 or 12 would help a lot for the really low bass and would allow you to feel the music. How much do you want to spend?
    - F r a n z

300 or under, i wouldnt think upgrading stock speakers would really help that much but then again i know nothing about audio. i know my friend has two 10's in the back of his truck and it sounds great. i would like to have like two 10's in my trunk....i think i could bust out a box for them.

$300 or less is a tight budget, especially if you want sub-woofers. Decent sub-woofers are at least $100 a piece, and you would also need a fairly powerful amp to power them. Plus, it would be best to get an aftermarket head unit. Building a box for a sub-woofer costs money as well. Do you know anyone who would help you install the stuff or would you go somewhere to have everything installed?
    - F r a n z

I've been looking into car audio recently and have learned recently that this stuff gets pricey real fast. For under $300 you'll probably be able to pick up two 10" subs in a box and an amp, but I dont think it will get you much farther than that and they will be decent at best. This will make a huge difference in the bass you are putting out, but not changing much else. Nonetheless, you'll definitely notice the difference.
    Upgrading the front speakers to some 6.5" components would really help as well, but you wont see too much difference unless they are amped or being powered by an aftermarket head unit.
    Right now I am looking into improving my system, and dont need anything crazy, but just all around good full sound. I've been trying to see how far my money will take me so this isn't an amazing setup, but it is quite nice from the research I've done. I am currently looking at getting some Infinity Reference 6000cs 6.5" components up front and putting an Image Dynamics 10" sub in a custom enclosure in the spare tire well. A Rockford Fosgate 501x 4-channel amp should be a good match for these, and is what i'll probably get.
    Lets see... that puts my total at... $550ish uninstalled, and those are the absolute best prices I could find (mostly online). You could go cheaper, but I'm trying to find a nice balance between price and quality, and think I'll be very happy with my results.
    Hope this helps, and if you want any specifics on where to shop for the items I've listed let me know.
    o-|-<) bryan
    just noticed you are in Australia, we are talking in US dollars here, right?

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com