EGT Probe Wire
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EGT Probe Wire within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can someone tell me what wire I can use to connect the probe w/ my gauge? I purchased a VDO ...

Question EGT Probe Wire

Can someone tell me what wire I can use to connect the probe w/ my gauge?

I purchased a VDO gauge from egauges.com but I've heard that their probes weren't that good so I bought a probe from teamrip.com. I didn't realize that the probe doesn't come w/ enough wire to hook up the gauge.

Does anyone know the specific type of wire that needs to be used? I'm assuming you can use most wires but will it effect the accuracy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As long as you're not using something with too much resistance you shouldn't have a problem, and I doubt unless you used waaaaaay too much wire you'd have too much resistance. Try to get something of the same/similar gauge.

You need to use thermocouple wire. Extension grade is a little cheaper for your application. I am guessing that your probe is K, or J type. You will have to match the color code to determine what you need. Here is a site that has EVERYTHING you need for temperature measurement.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsect...ok=Temperature

Standard copper wire will induce an error.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just play it safe and order some wire from the place I got the probe. No point in taking a short cut and risk damage to the motor because of a false reading.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.