Suggestions on inexpensive, used 6.5" component speakers for the fronts?

This is a discussion on Suggestions on inexpensive, used 6.5" component speakers for the fronts? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm an audio noob, but have been looking into my options on replacing my stock speakers in my WRX. Please ...

Question Suggestions on inexpensive, used 6.5" component speakers for the fronts?

I'm an audio noob, but have been looking into my options on replacing my stock speakers in my WRX. Please consider that I know absolutely nothing about what I am getting involved in, as that will most likely be pretty close to being accurate. I set my price range at $100, and have found a variety of speakers that I think will be good which meet that price if I buy them used.

The speakers that have caught my interest are:
    --Infinity Reference 6002cs (new or used)
    --Infinity Reference 605cs (new or used)
    --MB Quart DSD 216 (used)
    --MB Quart DSE 216 (used)

After finding out about the MB Quarts, I assumed they would be a much better speaker, but have since heard mixed things about them. The problem is that everyone has different expectations, and mine arent very high since I have never owned any aftermarket audio equipment before.
    Any advice on any of these speakers, or any others I might want to look at? Any info would be greatly appreciated since I havent been able to find any type of comparison anywhere between different speakers.
    I am also going to be looking for an inexpensive, but decent amp for these speakers to get the most out of them. Any suggestions there? Thats something I know nothing about...
    Price is a factor here, but I dont want to be buying garbage...
    TIA...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MB Quart's higher end speakers are pretty good, but many people believe they are overpriced. I have heard good things from people about those Infinity speakers. If you're not too picky, just go to a local car audio shop that has some decent stuff (read: not Circuit City or Best Buy). Listen to what they have there and use price as a major factor.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to gauge how YOU wil like componenets based on other people's reviews. Point in case.... a lot of poeple love the infiniti stuff.... I HATE it.... it's all so metallic and harsh to my ears. Other people would call that sharp and crisp.....

My advice would be to ask around in your local forum what everybody is using and try to meet up and listen.....

btw - mb and infiniti both make good components if you like the sound....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I got clarions for my car, and they almost directly bolted in. They even came with their own spacer/adapter plate. I had to drill 2 tiny holes to get them to work, but that was it. Here is a link to my origional thread: Found some almost direct bolt in speakers

I think that they sound great too.
    '02 White WRX

I went and listened to the Infinity Reference, Kappa, and Perfect speakers in a store a couple days ago. For the money, I'm really happy with how the References sound and think they are the speaker I will be getting. I dont have much of a trained ear, and I couldnt tell much difference between the Reference and Kappa. I could tell a difference between the Reference and the Perfect but only because he was flipping back and forth, and at double the price, they arent worth it to me at least. I also listened to a set of Boston Acoustic components prices similarly to the References, and I wasnt impressed.
    I'm also looking at getting an Image Dynamics 10" ID10v3 sub fit in a custom enclosure inside the spare tire. It needs .4 to .8 cu. ft. of space in a sealed box, and I've heard very good things about these subs so it seems perfect for my situation.
    I'm not definite on amps yet, but the Rockford Fosgate 501x seems like a good amp to power the speakers and sub.
    At this point I'm not planning to upgrade the stock head unit or the rear speakers. I would consider a head unit if it looked stock, but I hate how they are all so flashy, and for my expectations I think the stock HU should be fine.
    I'm trying to put together a good, simple system without spending too much cash. If anyone has any comments on any of this, please fire away. I'm not going to do this immediately, but just trying to do the research now.
    Thanks,
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I still have my stock head unit, and my stereo sounds pretty darn clear. I get comments on how clean it is. I know that it would sound better with an aftermarket one, but we have too many people breaking into cars around here. I will stick to my good old stocker.
    '02 White WRX

I'm with Franz, don't go to Short Circuit or Bad Buy. Go to a local shop and see what sound good to you. Not a big fan of Rockford, never seen anything but problems with them, but JL just came out with a new line of amps that aren't as expensive as their other ones and do a damn nice job. Eclipse also makes a very nice non flashy deck(plus if someone steals it within the first year, they will give you a new one)
    Bought myself a Christmas present....it's red and has a turbo!!

I've been happy with my Rockford amp, and their previous models can be had pretty inexpensively. Eclipse decks are good against theft since they have the special security CD, and somehow Eclipse is able to track the stolen decks and recover them. JL has some inexpensive amps now huh? Those might be worth a look too then.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by styleandspeed
    I got clarions for my car, and they almost directly bolted in. They even came with their own spacer/adapter plate. I had to drill 2 tiny holes to get them to work, but that was it. Here is a link to my origional thread: Found some almost direct bolt in speakers

I think that they sound great too.
    I snagged those speakers based on your message and I've been VERY happy with them too.

Glad to hear it man
    '02 White WRX