Interior gauge color

This is a discussion on Interior gauge color within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've searched and searched and so far all I've found is conflicting statements and people that don't know for sure. ...

Interior gauge color

I've searched and searched and so far all I've found is conflicting statements and people that don't know for sure.

I want to change the color of my stock gauges (to white). First I'd read and thought the bulbs in the instrument cluster had a rubber cover like those in the HVAC (which I've already done). But I'd read somewhere else that said there is actually a green film on the back of the gauge faces that makes them that color. I'd just go look, but getting inside the dash is kind of a pain and I'd rather know what I'm going to need to do first. Can anyone tell me for sure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a film. All your bulbs are regular "clear" style if you open up your dash.

..and it's supposed to be hard to get off? :-\ What do people do to get rid of it?

I think it would be quite a chore to get it off. It appears to me that it's painted on to the back of the HVAC panel. That is to say, behind the symbol for where to aim the airflow, etc, there is paint. You could try to attack it with some solvent but I'd be worried I would melt the plastic.

When I changed to blue lights, I replaced all the lights with LED's and that's all. The "film" stayed in place.

Originally posted by 04blkWRX
    I think it would be quite a chore to get it off. It appears to me that it's painted on to the back of the HVAC panel. That is to say, behind the symbol for where to aim the airflow, etc, there is paint. You could try to attack it with some solvent but I'd be worried I would melt the plastic.

When I changed to blue lights, I replaced all the lights with LED's and that's all. The "film" stayed in place.
    My HVAC didn't have film on the inside, it was actually just a cover on the bulbs.. It really doesnt make sense how just replacing the bulb covers would change the color when the film is there.

Gah.. I hate green.

Why are you looking at the lights. Most gauge overlays have the lights in them. I went to Speedhut.com and they had every option available on color and even custom graphics that you can send them. I had the on a taurus SHO of mine and I'm ordering yellow ones for my yellow wagon.
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

Speedhut has nothing for the '04 yet

Here is a thread I posted about my dash lights.

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...h+modification

There is a film on the back of the gauges but the red bulb covers "over power" it.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by ryland
    Here is a thread I posted about my dash lights.

http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...h+modification

There is a film on the back of the gauges but the red bulb covers "over power" it.
    Oh. So no white.

are the '04's different than the '03's ?
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

Originally posted by qoncept
    Oh. So no white.
    Yeah It woulda been hot to do white w/ red needles like the Defi BF series gauges.

Originally posted by grimm
    are the '04's different than the '03's ?
    Not really, center tach and red needles, not much else is different.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes