New Spec C steering wheel installed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Spec C steering wheel installed within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I never really did like the four-spoke wheel the WRX came with, so I ordered this new wheel from ...

New Spec C steering wheel installed

Well, I never really did like the four-spoke wheel the WRX came with, so I ordered this new wheel from Rallispec and installed it last night. Installation was pretty simple thanks to their instructions and the only downside is that you lose the cruise control which I could care less about. After having driven around a bit with the new wheel, all I can say is I love it - it's a slightly smaller diameter than the old wheel and the feel of it is just perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0539.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very sweet. I'm a huge fan of 3 spoke wheels.... I wish they made a direct replacement for the wrx that would keep cruise control and airbags...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

It keeps the airbag, well replaces it... there is just no hole to put the cruise control lever thru. I guess those handy with the dremel could make one, but since I never use it, I didn't bother.

Looks great! But I still don't want a quick feel no matter how little you charge.
    I will touch the steering wheel though.

Come on Seb - you know you want one!!

How much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?
    Last edited by Th3Franz; 03-03-2004 at 04:24 PM.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

$325

Originally posted by BlkWRXWag
    $325
    Wow, and it includes the airbag? That's not bad.
    - F r a n z

Yes - that includes everything.

How was the install? I've never swapped steering wheels on a car before.
    - F r a n z

Here are the instructions I got from Rallispec - it really was pretty simple...

First off....disable the airbag system by removing the two fuses for the airbag at the instrument panel fuse box.

We have found that the actual wire colors on the harness at the airbag itself varies from year to year. The only way to be sure you are connecting the correct wire colors is to verify the position of the wires at the lower connector at the base of the steering column. To access this lower connector requires removing the kick panel under the steering column. The lower connector is identical for both the WRX and the STi airbag roll connector....it is only the upper connector at the airbag itself that is different. To install, cut the upper connector off of the supplied STi roll connector harness and install in place of the existing WRX connector. There are only two wires so compare the relative positions of the wire colors at the lower airbag connector and ensure that you are connecting them in the correct position. Solder the wires to ensure a good connection and use shrink tubing to insulate each individual wire. Overwrap the connections with electrical tape.

According to the WRX roll connector we have here....there is a yellow/blue and yellow/black wire on the WRX harness. We found that the STi's yellow/black wire connected to the yellow/blue wire and the yellow/red wire to the yellow/black wire on the WRX. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR COLORS MAY VARY SO ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE RELATIVE POSITIONS OF THE WIRE COLORS AT THE BASE CONNECTOR AT THE BASE OF THE STEERING COLUMN.

The horn connector will also require modification.....the green/red wire on the WRX should be attached to the green/red wire coming off the airbag for the horn.

Ok. If I saw it in person it would probably make more sense. If I got the steering wheel I think I'd give my skills with the dremel a try to keep cruise control as well.
    - F r a n z

Yeah - it is easier when you have a visual on all the wires. Essentially, you just have to cut and solder three wires. Rallispec claims they can do the swap in 15 minutes, but it took us closer to an hour. The problem with the cruise control is not just the cutting of the hole, but you have to figure out a way to stabilsize the internal mechanism as it is bolted into the inside of the wheel. I'm sure the new wheel does not have the appropriate mounting holes.

Ohhh Ok. Hm...
    - F r a n z

Here's a pic of the cruise control unit in the old wheel...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0540.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.