AC mist

This is a discussion on AC mist within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wondering, how do you get rid of the mist the flows out of the AC every now and then? ...

AC mist

Just wondering, how do you get rid of the mist the flows out of the AC every now and then? (kind of like water vapor) I've been told that this is normal...

can anybody explain what's causing this mist? is it of any concern?

thanks for your input...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have seen it in my WRX a few times. It happens to me when its hot and humid outside and I have the ac on then turn it off for awhile and then back on. I am guessing some water condenses somewhere in the blower pipes and when you turn it back on it blows it out in a mist/cloud form. It goes away after a short time I guess after the water has evaporated.

If you read the WRX Owner's manual, it explains that the climate control is an AC and a dehumidifier. IF you are blowing air in from outside, moisture will collect throughout the vents and in the car. Switching the AC off and then back on blows the mist (condensed vapors) out of the vents.

-Jim

Misty.....

I thought the mist came from the reaction btw/ the cold dry air coming out of the vents and then hitting the hot and humid air in the vehicle. forming FOG.....

nick
    Lyve
    _______
    Stock

I'm pretty sure that LyveWRX is correct. I believe it's more of a function of the AC being "overloaded" with humidity and thus can't keep up. Once the car "equalizes" the fog stops.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by WRXed
    I'm pretty sure that LyveWRX is correct. I believe it's more of a function of the AC being "overloaded" with humidity and thus can't keep up. Once the car "equalizes" the fog stops.
    This doesn't explain why it'll do it with the temperature knob turned all the way to hot. I have had my WRX vents blow water vapor using both the heat and the AC.

-Jim

This may or may not be similar but the same thing happens to my truck's a/c.

On very hot days if I turn the A/C on in my truck it and set the air to recirculate it will get so cold that the condenser or the piece the air blows over will gather ice. (I don't know A/C parts). Once this happens huge amounts of mist will blow out of the vents. The easiest way to fix it is to make sure I run with the a/c using outside air and not recirculating the air in the cabin.

I believe that it's due to restriction of the airflow through the a/c chamber. If you see it happening again try to verify that the appropriate amount of air flow is coming through the vents.

Again, I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth but it's what I have seen happening with more than one vehicle.
    JDM STi Uppipe
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Lead Foot

Favorite Passenger Comment: I feel like we're about to go lightspeed!

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

This doesn't explain why it'll do it with the temperature knob turned all the way to hot. I have had my WRX vents blow water vapor using both the heat and the AC.

-Jim
    Is the compressor still running when you turn the temp know to hot? If so, it's still trying to dehumidify the air, which could cause the "fog". BTW, I'm not 100% positive on this, it could be a combo of all of this stuff.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Its nothing to worry about, I dont understand why some people leave their vents open to outside air while at the same time turns on their a/c thats annoying
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan