just ordered the garmin gps V
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on just ordered the garmin gps V within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So should I be excited?...

Arrow just ordered the garmin gps V

So should I be excited?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Can't remember if it gives you instantaneous speed or not. I think it does (which is good since you know the exact spped you're driving, there some in accuracy in the speedo)

Not too up to date on the Garmin's. I've often thought of looking into them for motorcycle trips, etc. Just don't have the cash at the moment anyway, so I suppose it's a moot point. Let's us know how you like once it arrives.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I have a magellan 330X which I got real cheap a few weeks ago, works nice, tells your speed, heading and where you are. Plus if you plot a path it tells you where you going and how far plus the time till you get there. Unfortunately only works well if you drive far often, mine sits in my rom most of the time collecting dust. I wanna set ip up in my WRX when I get it next month but its basically just a toy.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

I got my dad a Garmin hand held GPS. This thing rocks! It has majors roads on it and can read out soooooooooo much information. The GPS V is what I will be ordering for my WRX. The major benefits of the V are the large screen and remote antenna, so you can keep the unit close to you while maintaining line of sight with the satellites. Be very excited, they are awesome toys!

-Jim

Great, see that is what I want/need to hear! hahah. Anyhow, that would be really cool if it told me speed as well. Doubtful though?

Jared

Originally posted by Jared703
    Great, see that is what I want/need to hear! hahah. Anyhow, that would be really cool if it told me speed as well. Doubtful though?

Jared
    all of em display speed , simply distance/time

-Jim

The GPS V works great in the WRX... but it's fantastic anywhere. It fits perfectly in the small recess in front of the lighter/ashtray - makes for the perfect viewing angle and keeps it mostly out of the sun. I would recommend purchasing or making an external antenna if you mount it there however... passengers' knees seem to confuse the built in antenna.

One of my friends has a Garmin GPS V. The thing is great, you dont realize how much you will use it, never worry about getting lost again! I plan to get one along with a Valentine 1 as soon as i get my car.

Well I traded in my 330x for a gramin V and it is pretty nice but I cant find a good place for it, right now I have it mounted in front of my clock but are there better areas? I tried putting it in front of the ashtray but it how do you secure it there?
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

In front of the ashtray, I use Garmin's mini bean bag mount. The spare battery pack is removed; zipper edge of the mount faces rearward.

A remote, sunction cup antenna will add a lot of mounting options.

-Jim

I got the eMap from Garmin. It comes with the serial adapter and an 8MB memory card to download street-level maps. Cost me $210 at Ham Radio Outlet. I also got the suction cup mounting bracket for it, a 16MB card, car adapter and the MapSource MetroUSA CD-ROM. The total package cost about the same as a GPS V, but you get the entire USA street-level maps (instead of one region).

As far as the memory card capacity, I was able to load ALL of metro Atlanta, Birmingham (I have frequent business trips there), and the Florida panhandle from Panama City Beach to Mobile. All residential street level... All other areas are covered with the standard maps (Interstates, US, and State Highways).

The level of detail on the CD-ROM maps is staggering. They include points of interest, gas/service stations, and resteraunts. They even included the Cafe located in my office building...

I'll post a pick of my installation after I get home from work...

My $0.02,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    "...Let's get one thing straight, okay? I got my WRX for fun: not to race, not to rice..."

Originally posted by guitarec
    The level of detail on the CD-ROM maps is staggering. They include points of interest, gas/service stations, and resteraunts. They even included the Cafe located in my office building...
    Eric "GuitarEC"
    That's AWESOME! I want one. Unfortunately horsepower still rules my wallet.

-Jim

Here's a quick snap of my eMap setup. I routed the power cord along the doorsill, under the dash, and up the center console to the lighter jack. Looks real clean...

My $0.02,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture 21.jpg  
    "...Let's get one thing straight, okay? I got my WRX for fun: not to race, not to rice..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast