Is there an Auxilary In on the stock 04 WRX 6 CD stereo...

This is a discussion on Is there an Auxilary In on the stock 04 WRX 6 CD stereo... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Obviously there is no button for it on the outside of the deck, but I was wondering what the back ...

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar

Is there an Auxilary In on the stock 04 WRX 6 CD stereo...

Obviously there is no button for it on the outside of the deck, but I was wondering what the back of the sucker looks like. I wanna run a wire out so that I could plug in my laptop and play off of it. I don't wanna have to go to the trouble of taking the whole thing apart to find out that there is nothing (which I suspect is the case). My hopes, however small, are that there will be an input jack. Thanks for anyone who has opened this stuff up and can give me the info.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry. :-\

A lot of Aiwa decks have aux in by 3.5mm plug on the front. That said, Aiwa decks generally suck. Pioneer and Kenwood both have proprietary input, so don't look there.. If you look on Crutchfield you'll be able to find aftermarket decks that have line in if you're interested in ditching the stock stereo (which I did, and when I sold it I broke even )

people rag on Aiwa, but most dont realise they share most of their components in optical technology with Sony (except ES).
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

Originally posted by Kanchou
    people rag on Aiwa, but most dont realise they share most of their components in optical technology with Sony (except ES).
    I had the first Aiwa MP3 deck and hated it. Then again, it was really new technology..

From what I've seen the Aiwa makes the best low priced bookshelf systems, and they are owned by Sony..

its a real toss up with Aiwa. . .i mean, they must be engineering geniuses to get the performance level they do out of the materials they use. . .

and lets be honest. . .Aiwa was the one that popularised Jog wheels in regular audio electronics as a control means.
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

a quick fix would be to buy one of those cassette tape to cd converter deals that you can pick up at stop and shop. The idea is that it's a cassette that has a "write" head instead of a pre-recorded tape. The head is attached to a cable that goes out from the cassette body to a phono jack. You can then plug the phono jack into your lap top, press play on the computer and play on the tape deck section of the stereo and you're good to go. Cost? about $15. Sound quality? 6 or 7 on a scale of 10. Then again, I dont think that the quality will be all that much better with an aux in jack; the big limiter is how good the sound card is on your computer.

They are made so that you can hook up a cd player to a car (or whatever) that only has a tape deck. Since your lap top is more powerful than any cd player on the market, you can probably equalize out any sound problems. Also, you are in effect using the lap top as a pre-amp and then using the car stereo as a power amp, so actually, now that i think about it, the sound quality will probably be almost better if you find the right settings.

oh also- if you're dead set on adding an aux in jack, you can just open up the thing and cut the leads from the tape head and put in a stero jack (in parallel!!) into the circut. Might also want to think about some sort of relay system ( or even a manual switch) to switch between the tape player and the aux in (the car stereo would always be "playing" )

good luck

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    Thanks.............I actually beat ya to it and did that already. Tape adapter thingy works allright. I do theatrical/concert sound engineering, so I am pretty good at doing EQ. I don't really feel the need to start cutting wires inside the unit though, so for now I will just make due with the cassete adapter. Thanks for the idea though, its about as good a fix as I could think of for the stock unit.

Josh

No problem!

Stock stereo, as a rule, is generaly counter-upgrade, but with a little thought can always be out thought!

Forgot to mention:
    Obviously, cutting wires to hardwire in a new aux in jack will void the warrentee (although if you do it nicely and in the style of the rest of the stereo, $5 says the subaru dealership won't notice it. Even better, don't put the jack on the front of the deck like i was thinking; hide it behind the kick panels or something to that effect ) Beyond the warrentte issue (which any modder has already kissed good bye) I have no idea what the anti-theft system of the head will do when it has more wire then it was made with in it. If any one wants to try this to check it, it would be appreciated. I doubt it would mess anything up, but one never knows. Any car that has more computing power than all of the moon missions combined worries me a little....
    Last edited by phi11235; 03-07-2004 at 09:17 AM.