New STi, rattles inside
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New STi, rattles inside within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have any of you new WRX owners notice rattles underneath the dash cluster, and top-left of dash? Its driving me ...

Red face New STi, rattles inside

Have any of you new WRX owners notice rattles underneath the dash cluster, and top-left of dash? Its driving me nuts.

Also the zipper around the harness hole(?) has a bell sound when the seat vibrates

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When I first got my STi the only sounds I noticed were coming from the center diff. Now that I have my stereo installed... I don't notice any sounds at all... probably because it's drowned out

Signed,
    Outferno

It sounds like you have the VIN panel rattle. It took me about 20 minutes to do this and I got rid of the rattle from the din panel.
    Silencing the VIN Plate / Defroster Panel rattle
    2002 WRX WRB

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by outferno
    When I first got my STi the only sounds I noticed were coming from the center diff. Now that I have my stereo installed... I don't notice any sounds at all... probably because it's drowned out
    Ditto here with my WRX. I've either got something blaring out of the stereo, or the windows down to hear my engine. In either instance the rattles seem to go away...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I have a rattle on the right end of the dash near the clock or around the passenger airbag, I usually slap the dash and see if it helps (LOL) but never does. Anyone have this same rattle?

It normally wouldn't bother me, but my radio has been gone for like 3 weeks.

I just gave up on tryin to find em all..............

(Besides, I gotta use that shtty O.E.M Bass for sumthin<GG>)

Shotgun

Originally posted by Chunks
    I have a rattle on the right end of the dash near the clock or around the passenger airbag, I usually slap the dash and see if it helps (LOL) but never does. Anyone have this same rattle?

It normally wouldn't bother me, but my radio has been gone for like 3 weeks.
    Could be 2 things, both of which I have been able to fix. The clock housing clips rattle sometimes and need some silicone. The airbag rattle may actually be the glove box door. Wrap some electrical tape around the latch bar.

Now after fixing what seemed like a million rattles I get 2 more. My damn window switch panels in the front are rattling. Silicone didn't seem to help much either.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

My MAIN rattle is on the passanger dash side and sounds like one of those dam "Tall Ships" creaking and moaning.......

WTF is up with that?

LOL

(Blares cheap underseat woofer )

Shotgun

I also found that the tweeter connector will rattle. When I installed the new speakers, I tie-rap the connector, so the inner wires are stretched and it quiet it down.

Also it seems that this new set up of plastic tabs is whats making all the rattles. Also the loose wires underneath the dash, I tie-rap those and it also quiet some of the rattles.

I'am still looking for the elusive rattle behind the dash cluster.

Originally posted by Pirana
    Also it seems that this new set up of plastic tabs is whats making all the rattles.
    Anytime that I see one of those tabs, I use a dab of silicon and the rattle goes away. Using silicon on the plastic tabs on the din panel is key. I also used silicon on the plastic tabs on the door panels and a couple of the dash panels.

With a modest amount of Raamat, carpet padding and silicon (on the plastic tabs), my car is virtually squeak and rattle free.
    2002 WRX WRB

I have used gobs of silicone sealant on my plastic clips and the rattle still does not go away. In order to totally remove any rattles you probably need some type of insulation underneath the dash. I used some old towels before and it worked temporarily
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

my passenger door rattles. i'm going to try the silicone bit.

thx

Originally posted by dark_rex
    my passenger door rattles. i'm going to try the silicone bit.

thx
    My doors rattled alot too even after I siliconed the clips. I then got some 1/4" and 1/2 packing foam and glued it to the inside of the door card. This put mild pressure on the clips and has so far kept everything pretty quiet.

I also had to put alittle silicone around the window switch. It was starting to rattle.

Now all I need to do is silence the damn upper seat belt rattles amd I will nealy have a rattle free ride

Originally posted by pityr

Now all I need to do is silence the damn upper seat belt rattles amd I will nealy have a rattle free ride
    those have got me stumped too.

i quieted the windshield trim, glove box, passenger seat and rear deck.

now i need to do the seat belts, and the doors. lol

love this damn car...

dR

Yeah, I really dont know what do do about the seat belts short of welding the sliders together.

I just found a new rattle today My drivers kick/switch panel is creaking around. Guess its time to put some foam on the too.

I can post pics of what I did to my doors if anyone wants to see them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast