major rattle problem

This is a discussion on major rattle problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so I've got issues. Just installed my sound system: Boston Accoustics Pro 12" sub 500W RMS 1200 peak 2 ...

major rattle problem

Okay, so I've got issues.

Just installed my sound system:
    Boston Accoustics Pro 12" sub 500W RMS 1200 peak 2 ohm coil
    JBL BP600.1 monoblock amp 600x1 @ 2 ohms.
    Alpine 9815, Monster MicroXLN, 4 guage power and ground.
    '02 Sedan 38,000 miles.

The problem is rattles. I was appalled by the amount of rattles I get with higher levels of bass. I used to own a 97 Prizm (stop laughing) with the same sub and 500 watts and it sounded much better.

I put some cascade audio VB2 (like Dynamat extreme) on my trunk lid and license plate but it continues. I think I hear rattles *back right corner somewhere under the carpet
    *rear decklid
    *front of car near windsheild

heck, even the bumper was vibrating from the bass. It doesn't even seem that loud in the car. Whats going on?

_Dan
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thin sheet metal, crappy plastic clips, and not the best workmanship. We all have to deal with it. For the rear trunk lid your best bet is to stuff some foam or something of the like between the pieces in there to keep them still. The front, remove that trim piece and silicon glue the stupid rattling white clips in place. That should help a bit.
    2002 WRX Sedan, Blue.
    Catless, Cobb Stage 2, and so on.

the resolution

Okay, so now I've done ~15 sq. feet of Dynamat Extreme and Cascade audio VB2HD. Applied on sides/back of trunk, trunk lid, and rear deck. Plus strategic use of clear silicone and electrical tape on the plastic fasteners.

My trunk floor consists of- stock carpet glued to square piece of 1/2" mdf, also 1/2 inch open cell foam glued to bottom side. I bolted this contraption down using one of the mounting holes at the rear of the trunk. Now it's real solid.

I've discovered some major sources of annoying rattles-
    1) Third brake light. Get rid of it or take it apart and fortify it (anybody want me to do a DIY on that?)
    2) Rear Defroster vents. Not sure how to fix this yet but they make a lot of noise
    3) Middle shoulder belt plastic peice. This thing is on the rear decklid and it just DANCES with vibrations.
    4) Front defroster trim peice. The fix is easy and well documented.
    5) Rear View mirror. Yes, at high volumes of bass my rear view mirror is starting to rattle.
    6) Trunk release lines. Located on right side of trunk underneath carpet. Used Cascade audio VB5 foam but any foam + 3m adhesive should work. These things can slap up against the sides of your trunk.

Still not 100% perfect but it sounds much better. Anyone looking to put some serious bass in their trunk should be prepared for serious work to quell unwanted vibrations.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???