Alpine 9827 or Clarion DXZ835MP ???

This is a discussion on Alpine 9827 or Clarion DXZ835MP ??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am in a serious budget and can't spend more than 0.00 on a head unit. I not very ...

Alpine 9827 or Clarion DXZ835MP ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am in a serious budget and can't spend more than $250.00 on a head unit. I not very knowledgable on car audio, but shopping for price and features these are the two units that have grabbed my attention. The alpine is $183.95 and the Clarion is $199.00

Here are links to them on ebay w/ list of features.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39750

&

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=50558

Any opinions or anybody know of somthing better for under $250.00

Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Alpine supports XM. XM>Sirius. That's my simplified view.

Originally posted by mciembro
    The Alpine supports XM. XM>Sirius. That's my simplified view.
    2 satellites vs. 3? I think Sirius has the edge right now, in my opinion. Granted my Pioneer HU is XM ready, so I might just get XM eventually, but we'll see. Also, I'd be a bit wary about buying a head unit from Ebay. If something goes wrong with it, you might be screwed. Head units have sensitive circuitry that can get messed up along with the mechanical faceplates, etc. Just food for thought.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Also, I'd be a bit wary about buying a head unit from Ebay.
    Thanks for the advice... I realized anyway that on the Clarion, the user name was "thezeb" ...So I checked The Zeb website and they sell the same HU for 20 bucks more w/ free shipping...I go back and look at e-bay ...=20 bucks for shipping. So it was the exact same deal directly from their website, and it was THE BEST price on e-bay.

There's probably plenty of material to compare Sirius vs XM but I suppose that's best left for another thread (or another forum). These days it's really close - XM dropped commercials on all their music stations to match Sirius, and Sirius went to $10/month (with annual plan) to match XM.

As for number of birds, here's XM's spin on it...

XM's two Boeing 702 satellites, "Rock" and "Roll," deliver more than twice as much total satellite power of any other satellite radio service, thus only two are needed. The satellites are "parked" in geostationary orbits aligned with the east and west coasts of the United States and each broadcasts the full 100-channel service to all XM radios across the country.
    Original XM Press Release

Originally posted by mciembro
    There's probably plenty of material to compare Sirius vs XM but I suppose that's best left for another thread (or another forum). These days it's really close - XM dropped commercials on all their music stations to match Sirius, and Sirius went to $10/month (with annual plan) to match XM.

As for number of birds, here's XM's spin on it...

Original XM Press Release
    I hear the problem with only 2 satellites is getting the right angle. And I think those have to be in higher orbit, so if there are tall buildings or mountains, XM doesn't do as well as Sirius. That's what I hear, anyway.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Franz
    2 satellites vs. 3? I think Sirius has the edge right now, in my opinion. Granted my Pioneer HU is XM ready, so I might just get XM eventually, but we'll see. Also, I'd be a bit wary about buying a head unit from Ebay. If something goes wrong with it, you might be screwed. Head units have sensitive circuitry that can get messed up along with the mechanical faceplates, etc. Just food for thought.
    I talked to a dealer today and XM has 12 satellites to Sirius's 3. It's not so much that XM sounds better, but you get less lost signal problems because there are more satellites up in space.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    I talked to a dealer today and XM has 12 satellites to Sirius's 3. It's not so much that XM sounds better, but you get less lost signal problems because there are more satellites up in space.
    Since when do we start trusting what dealers say?
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Since when do we start trusting what dealers say?
    I did mean AUDIO dealer not car dealer. He has both systems and spent a lot of time answering my questions. I'll go with XM.
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Actually the Alpines support XM or Sirius...nice option to have, so you can switch if you want to. As their website says, and Franz noted above XM has 2 Sats, not 12.

"Two Boeing 702 satellites built by Boeing Satellite Systems, with payloads manufactured by Alcatel Space. Both satellites operate in geostationary orbit, with "XM Rock" at 85 West Longitude and "XM Roll" positioned at 115 West Longitude. Telesat Canada monitors and controls the satellites for XM. Sea Launch provided launch services."

Both services are very similar, you have to choose by programming.

I'm happy with my Alpine...and I'm glad I had the option to switch services. (Had XM now using Sirius...)
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

I stand corrected. I probably didn't remember what the guy was saying with all that info I got yesterday. He did say that XM use repeaters and Sirius doesn't which helps prevent dropped signals.

Yeah I'm sure those guys "confuse" their numbers often to try to make a certain product look superior. According to Sirius' yahoo investor relations, they do use repeaters...from Yahoo stock news :
    "As of September 30, 2004, we had 135 repeaters in operation as compared with 113 as of September 30, 2003. We also incurred additional costs associated with the operation of the satellite uplink facility we purchased in March 2004, the use of security software to prevent the theft of our service, and additions to our personnel."
    As opposed to XM, who says they have 800 repeaters...
    So maybe he meant not as many...XM definitely has the edge on repeaters...
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.