Dynamat Installation
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dynamat Installation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so I'm installing my very first Dynamat install, and I've got some questions about it... I took off the ...

Dynamat Installation

Ok, so I'm installing my very first Dynamat install, and I've got some questions about it...

I took off the liner, and removed the black-sticky stuff w/ my hands.

I then cleaned off the black residue with naptha, and cleaned everything w/ denatured alcohol.

I just did the driver's door last night, and it took a lot of time for me to do. What I did, is hung the dynamat on the door w/ masking tape, then cut out all of the holes, levers, things like that.

Then, I peeled off the backing, and little of liner lined up to the holes that I cut..

All in all, it took me about 1.5-2 hours to do it (and this was for one sheet). Just wondering if anyone had install tips on how to do it.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to dynamat.

Also, I'm going to do the inside of the door (the skin nearest the outside of the door), and there's a buttload of green grease in there. I started using some denatured alcohol and it appeared to be taking the paint off as well.

Is the alcohol something I should *not* be using, or just ignore the fact it's stripping the paint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Dynamat Installation

Originally posted by rotinom
    Is the alcohol something I should *not* be using, or just ignore the fact it's stripping the paint?
    Can't speak for the dynamat install, but as for the alcohol I wouldn't worry about any paint you might remove. You are, afterall, going to be covering it with the dynamat anyway so you'd never see it again regardless if it's there or not. The alcohol would no effect on the door itself, so no worries there either.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Dynamat ?

I hope I'm not the only one aksing,....

Whats Dynamat ?

And why for is it used ?

Clavo
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

dynamat is sound insulation.
    4EAT White WRX
    Hallman MBC @ 15lbs
    Removed Silencer
    3" custom cat-back w/ glass pack
    Gruppe-S uppipe

Originally posted by nigginondubz
    dynamat is sound insulation.
    dynamat is HEAVY sound insulation.

But, I guess if you are going for a kick ass sound system, then weight isn't your first concern.

Fiber

Dynamat = name brand and too damn expensive
    You can get much bigger rolls Mastic 0.075" 36" x 40" 0.05 -20 to +160F 0.4 Black 9709T21 $17.94.

Go to www.mcmastercarr.com and do a search for High Temp Mastic....This stuff rules

Much cheaper than Dynamat and just as good. Just be sure and buy a heat gun at Home Depot for like $30 and a roller.

I've personally heard too many different things about the RAAMat, and all that other mastic/pseudo-dynamat products. I can afford the price for the extreme (it's really not *that* expensive), and it's tried and true. Been around forever.

My $0.02

Otherwise...

So, when I put the dynamat in, I cut out the larg holes in the door from the dynamat. Looking at some other installs, few/no people are doing this. So, now my question is, should I go in and re-cover up those holes, or just leave it go. My reasoning, is that if I ever need to get into the door to muck w/ the motors & stuff like that, I can do it. If the holes are covered, I'll have to cut them out anyway.

So, holes or no-holes?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.