Stock Alternator
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Alternator within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; how many watts are you guys pushing with your stock alternator? im thinking about runnin a pheonix gold ti800.1 to ...

Stock Alternator

how many watts are you guys pushing with your stock alternator? im thinking about runnin a pheonix gold ti800.1 to each of my 12w6s so a total of 2 amps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't have a WRX yet but when I get one I'll be pushing 1800 W RMS once I install everything. If you don't wail on your system a lot, I wouldn't worry. But I plan to do some competition, so I'll probably get a beefier alternator.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Okay guys, here's the 'science' behind it. I'll be generous with my estimate.

-WRX alternater = 75 amps
    -Max Voltage = 15V
    -BUT there are systems in your car that take up power
    So we'll say 65 amps

-Power = Voltage x Current
    -Power = 975 Watts

-amps are not 100% efficient. That means they require more power then they expend. The rest of the power is lost as heat.
    -amp efficiency = 70-85%

975 watts * 80% = 780 watts RMS.

Remember this is conservative. Your vehicle systems probably take more than 10 amps draw off of your power system. Anything more than 780 watts should require an upgraded alternator unless you only use it for a couple of minutes at a time. Or you can hook up another battery to store more juice...
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Yeah I'd have to say that is a very conservative estimate, even. Depending on if you have the A/C on, etc., I'm gonna guess that the current draw from just the engine is going to be higher than that. That's why I'll be adding a beefy battery and probably an upgraded alternator once I get a WRX.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.