Class design project...tell me what you think (long)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Class design project...tell me what you think (long) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For my Human computer interaction/design class I am going to design a car stereo interface. My goals will be, first, ...

Class design project...tell me what you think (long)

For my Human computer interaction/design class I am going to design a car stereo interface. My goals will be, first, to make the system safe (that is, a system which takes little attention from the road to opperate) and,second, enjoyable (this includes making it entertaining and visually interesting).

It is almost obvious that a system which resides in the gauge cluster would take the least amount of attention away from driving. However, we are probably going to limit ourselves to DIN position/size designs...this is because most people cant afford/arent technically inclined enough to install a system in the cluster.

We are going to make an initial design and then rework it based on data collected using an eye-tracking system (cool and scarry stuff).

I guess the real pupose of this post is to ask what you think of the design....which will be posted as soon as we make the first sketch.

I would also like to hear what people like/don't like about stereo systems you have used. (in the design process asking the user what they think is very very important). Also, (and i know i keep asking for more and more help) could you tell me which 3 or 4 buttons you use the most (this will help in determining which functions are the most important/should be the most visible)

Thanks...and sorry about the long explanation.
    1 years till WRX...doesn't seem too long until i go out and drive my car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a cool project.
    Anyway, for my stereo (I have a Pioneer), I definitely like having different sizes and shapes of buttons. I can basically drive my car and do stuff on the radio without looking at it. I like having a volume knob to turn, and I mostly just hit buttons for preset stations. If I am listening to a CD, I like being able to hit the next and previous track buttons. So the buttons I use most are volume knob, 1 or 2 preset stations (usually), next track, previous track. Having each of these slightly different from each other helps. Good luck with your project.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I also really look for an actual volume knob. It just seems so much more tactile and precise, and less distracting than pushing at buttons.

I also noticed that MD never really took off in the N. American market, which is really too bad. If ever there was a perfect media for car stereos, it`s gotta be MD.

Here are some favs:
    pioneer combo

single

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.