Help..EGT Install Problems!

This is a discussion on Help..EGT Install Problems! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Over the weekend I installed my 3 52mm Omori guages in my '03 WRX. The boost and oil pressure work ...

Help..EGT Install Problems!

Over the weekend I installed my 3 52mm Omori guages in my '03 WRX. The boost and oil pressure work perfectly but my EGT isn't registering anything. I wired them all in on Friday so they all had power and completely installed the boost and pres., then on Saturday I drilled and tapped my manifold and installed the sensor, and plugged all the wires together. Turned on my car, and nothing. The gauge just sits at 4, the lowest it can rest. When turned on it sweeps into the red so I know it's functional and the needle moves but I can't understand why it won't register anything. I disconnected the battery again to see if it just had to reset or something but still nothing happened. I have checked all connections again, everything's fine. I'm guessing I have a dead sensor? Unless there's something I missed. Drilled and tapped my manifold in the casting bead between the 2nd and 4th cylinders, driver's side. If anybody could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

is that 400C?
    if so - your car will idle below that temp.
    have you gone for a drive to see if it comes up?

No, 400F. The Omori gauges are all in imperial measurements. Yeah, I drove it around all weekend but it never moves. I guess I'm going to have to see if I can get a replacement, something must be screwed up.

sounds like a dead sensor

I am not sure how these sensors work - but my defi gauges will blink when the sensor is disconnected - have you tried just unplugging it to see if the gauge behaves differently?

I didn't have the sensor attached on Friday because I hadn't drilled and tapped the manifold. The gauge just sat at the 400 mark with the warning light on. Basically the same as it does now. Today I found that the gauge will sit at the extreme end also, just frozen there. I'm beginning to think maybe the gauge itself is screwed up, since there really isn't too much technology in the sensor itself. I'm going to give J-Spec a call and see if I can possibly get another one sent to try and then return this.

Can't help you with your problem. HEre's mine and maybe we can make some sense...

I have the Omori max/warning egt gauge (60mm). I've got it tapped at the passenger side manifold. My problem is, that the guage works just fine until it starts to rain. Then the needle jumps around constantly. SO much so, I have to set it at max (where it will just hold the needle at the highest temp recorded since start or last reset).

I figure the water may be affecting the signal from the probe. I've got my skid guard off, so maybe when I re-install it, the problem will just go away.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Hm, that is a bit weird. I don't know how to solve your problem. But how can you adjust the gauges? I got those craptastically translated instructions that Omori provides but can't understand half of what it is saying. Maybe mine could just be set all whacked out, but it it doesn't always sit at a set point. Either maxed out or dead low.

My gauge had adjustment nobs covered by a sticker on the the back. But it was also a hold/warning/max gauge.

You might want to try emailing Omori directly. I don;t have the email address here at my work computer, but I emailed them and got a response in a couple of days. I asked about the install (cuz I got mine used), they sent me a PDF of the install directions and pictures and answered my questions. Good product support.

I think you can get contact info from their website.

Good luck w/ your issues.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Well, I just talked to Thaison at J-Spec and he said it is a fairly common problem. Omori sacrifices a bit of reliability with the probes for the much quicker response times. He's sending me a new one to replace the defective one. So I should have it all worked out soon. Thanks for the responses. -Matt