COLD Weather problems?

This is a discussion on COLD Weather problems? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been getting into my car for the past few days (around 6am). Hella cold in the mornings. Turn on the ...

COLD Weather problems?

Been getting into my car for the past few days (around 6am). Hella cold in the mornings. Turn on the car, and find that the clock and radio in my car won't work. First day got about 10 miles into my ride to work, all of the sudden the radio comes on (loud as hell, 'cause I left it like that the night before ) Scares the crap out of me while merging into traffic. noticed the clock was back on too.
    Possible on now, because the car is warmer.

Any of this happening to any of you out there in living in the cold?

BTW my friggin' windshield fluid lines froze too... ..Im just having a great ol' week with the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How cold are you talking? I have driven my STi in -20 (F), and have no probs. I also drove my WRX in VERY cold weather with no probs at all. With my new STI, the display on the Alpine HU is a bit "slow" when it is really cold (sub-zero), and sometimes there is the odd screech from a testy belt upon startup. Oh, and the seats are rock hard when it is -20 F

I always run RainX in my windshield washer. 100% regular RainX in summer, and the winter RainX in the winter. And I make sure to run out my IC sprayer reservoir and drop in about a half gallon of regular (blue) windshield washer antifreeze, then cycle the pump until it just starts coming out the sprayer. I leave just enough in the reservoir so that the IC light does not come on on the dash, and will have it "sucked out" with a vacuum pump in the spring.

I haven't had any problems to speak of, despite the single digit temperatures here this week.

I actually find my car runs better in the cold

Watch out East Coast, high temperature will be a balmy 18 tomorrow here in NJ.

then something must be F'ed up with my car. Im in CT.... must have been just about -2 F when I leave in the am. but I kid you not, I have to crank the heat inside the car and then maybe like 5-10 mins later everything comes back. WTF?
    I still have the stock radio. I just think is wierd that both the radio and clock are gone at the same time. I don't think theyre connected other than the power source. I got to look into that.
    If anybody has some insight on this it would be appreciated.

This happens in an old car we have in the winter, everything werks fine after the car has been warmed up for about 10 minutes....but never in the summer