will radio play cd-rw discs?

This is a discussion on will radio play cd-rw discs? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an '04 WRX, premium package. It comes with the Subaru 6 Disc changer in dash. I know the ...

will radio play cd-rw discs?

I have an '04 WRX, premium package. It comes with the Subaru 6 Disc changer in dash. I know the stock radio plays CDRs. My question concerns CDRWs.

I put one in of a "mix" I made, and it played it. The next day when I started the car up and turned on the radio, it ejected the cdrw. I tried loading it back in again, and it didn't take it. Later that day on my ride home, I loaded the CDRW back in again and it started playing it. The next day, it ejected again.

The manual says it wont play CDRWs... but I did get it to play one a few times. That was an Imation 4x-10x cdrw disc. I tried another brand (memorex 4x-10x cdrw) and it doesn't play at all. So it appears the Imation works sometimes, and the Memorex not at all, ever.

So since it appears some brands work better than others. I wanted to know if anyone has had success playing a CDRW and if so, what brand CDRW was it? Short of me buying one of every brand and trying them all!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most will play just fine. Some will have read errors. You may find that burning at slower speeds results in better media and fewer read errors. 1x may be excruciatingly slow, but may net the best results. 2x and even 4x seem to work pretty well for most. Experiment and see what works for you. You should probably also seek out some quality blank disks, not $9 for 100 Walmart specials. Some decks are pretty fussy about what they read. The stock Subie HU seems to read the Imation cheap disks pretty well, especially when burned at 4x and below.

Cool! Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot with 1x on an Imation cdrw disk I have since those seemed to work 50% of the time at 10x. I dont suppose it matters if its a 650 or 700mb cdrw? I'll try both and see what happens.

I'll post back with results.

Haven't had any problems with mine, the car seems to play anything, and I burn them as fast as I can. Wish I could say the same for my home stereo....

What brand, speed and size cdrw's do you use? Is there one in particular?

I tried an Imation today on my way home from work that I burned at 4x instead of 10x and it didn't play it. I'll try 1x tomorrow I guess.

You ARE burning AUDIO CD's, right? The stock Subie deck will not read MP3!

Yes, I am burning audio cds and not mp3 discs.

Ine plays CD-R just fine but today the radio had a brain fart ... it has been wicked cold here in the northeast and when I move the vent controll from fresh air to recirculate my radio went to FM from the CD. I tried to get my burned CD to play but only until ejecting the CD and re-inserting it did it play. I knew my car was evil, now I kow it
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

mine plays em just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Well I have tried every 3 or 4 different brands that are in my possession, at every speed. None of them seem to work consistently.

I had luck with a sony cdrw. All day yesterday it worked perfectly. This morning it ejected when I turned on the radio.

I see a few people wrote back and said theirs plays them fine. You are talking about CDRW and not CDR, right? What brand cdrw discs are you using?

Yeah, big difference between CDR and CDRW. CDRs play fine, I have never used a CDRW in my car, but have heard of people having problems with them.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

if your deck plays CDRs then why not just buy CDRs do you really reuse the discs??? CDRs are cheaper any way when you want to change your mix just make a new one ... its faster and less hassel

I thought you were talking about CDR! Why bother with CDRW? Measure twice, burn once!

Measure twice, burn once. I like that.

Actually I thought I made it clear in all my posts that it was a CDRW. Hence the thread topic.

I wanted to use cdrw's because I hate making a mix cd, listening to it for a few days then throwing it away to make another mix disc. It's just throwing money away. Yes I realize a cd is like 25 cents. But a RW is not much more and can be used over & over. It just seemed like a waste...

I guess I'll have to live with it or buy a new stereo.