moonroof on '02 WRX???

This is a discussion on moonroof on '02 WRX??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is an installation of a moonroof possible on a '02 wrx. If someone had it done how much did it ...

moonroof on '02 WRX???

Is an installation of a moonroof possible on a '02 wrx. If someone had it done how much did it cost you? Are there any particular models or companies that are high quality that you would recommend? Any info would be helpful thanks. peace
    Last edited by VhunterD; 01-07-2004 at 06:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought mine used, and the prev owner had one put in, no leaks etc and i love it.

-John
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

hmmmmmm.... this brings up the familiar question - what does something like this do to the rigidity of the car? will it affect handling? i love the idea, but i don't love the idea of decreased handling. anyone?
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

it's not really a question of handling. I know it will be a certain disadvantage to the handling and added weight. It's more of a cosmetic upgrade. I just want a car with a moonroof. That's all.
    From the wise words of Homer Simpson: "Trying is the first step toward failure."

My car handles great, plenty of oversteer
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

SBW
    I have heard that chassis stiffness can actually be improved with a moonroof, and a million other things as well. I know this has been discussed many times on here nasioc.

Do a search, it will yield a lot of good info on this since many people have had it done already and posted afterwards.

Originally posted by VhunterD
    it's not really a question of handling. I know it will be a certain disadvantage to the handling and added weight. It's more of a cosmetic upgrade. I just want a car with a moonroof. That's all.
    i disagree. cutting that middle stabilizer bar will certainly be a risk to the rigidity of the frame. i bet after continuous autoxing, track, or even just a few years, you'll start to see some shifting of body panels.

dR

SBW
    Originally posted by dark_rex
    i disagree. cutting that middle stabilizer bar will certainly be a risk to the rigidity of the frame. i bet after continuous autoxing, track, or even just a few years, you'll start to see some shifting of body panels.

dR
    The debate about whether a stabilizer bar is there or not continues. I dunno, I want a sunroof, but stabilizer bar or not, its too expensive right now.

I did a search for this and found two threads I read before that were interesting.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...of+AND+Sunroof

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...of+AND+Sunroof

Hope it helps, the only thing I've been able to gather, is that the factory may offer it as an option on 04's. The panel itself that moves is small and must move on top of the roof so it doesn't back into the bar in the roof.

I don't know if this is the way it works for sure though, only what I have read, since I still have yet to see a sunroof in any rex in person.

Moonroof is just a sunroof that does not slide right?

nope, just what people call a sunroof when you only use it at night because it rains to much in the NW

as a structural engineer i can assure everybody that even with a weak cross beam, a car without a moonroof will always be stiffer. you can't break the laws of physics. at best case scenario, a car with a good moonroof will have 99.999% of the stiffness of w/out a moonroof, but it will never ever reach 100%

let's sample the WRX roof as a plain sheet of steel. its stiffness can be quantified by calculating steel's modulus of elasticity (E). E is a ratio of stress to strain, strain being how much the roof deflects relative to its overall length.

strain can only occur at the extreme ends of the roof (over the windshield and rear window, and over the side mirrors). with a hole in the roof, there are going to be stress concentrations at the extreme ends of the moonroof. that's why it gets "beefed up" in that area. instead of stress being evenly distributed, it's going to concentrate at the corners of the hole, trying to bend and twist the roof.

now you have strain at the extreme ends of the roof *and* the extreme ends of the moonroof. for the same given amount of stress, you now have more strain. since E = stress/strain, E (stiffness) will be lower with the moonroof.

but wait, we've beefed it up, right? the extra steel around the moonroof can handle the extra stress. and it can. today and even tomorrow. but there's another factor called fatigue, which is what happens to structural materials under repeated loading (taking many, many tight corners). the beefed up material gets tired after a while, and that's why you start getting squeaks and rattles up there.

no hole in the roof = higher E = better stress distribution = less fatigue to worry about.

plus you're just putting more weight up there, in the worst possible place. the more you reinforce the moonroof, the more weight you add. craziness.

bri
    just my common sense talking, but i don't think the sheet metal will carry any tension or load in the car. isn't that what the chassis/frame is for? if you're talking the major stresses from cornering, any streses that actually transfer to the sheet metal would crumple it up. the point of debate is is whether there is actually a reinforcement bar as part of the subframe that occupies the space that a moonroof would. there is believed to be one in the sti, noone has ripped out their roof lining to find out yet, but i can assure you that there is not one in 04 wrx's because i have a factory moonroof.