Tried to replace speakers in the wrx and failed

This is a discussion on Tried to replace speakers in the wrx and failed within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to replace the speakers in my 02 wrx. I went to best buy and they recommended 5.5 inch ...

Tried to replace speakers in the wrx and failed

I want to replace the speakers in my 02 wrx. I went to best buy and they recommended 5.5 inch speakers for front and rear. Brought the speakers to get installed and they said they wouldn't fit something about the fronts hitting the window and the rears being too large. What size speakers should I buy to replace front and rear? is it even worth it I want the sound quality to go up. thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just get what you had as your stock sizes but get like better quality like sony...
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

by all means, please do not get sony. they suck. first off, front speakers on the wrx to my understanding r 6.5" and the rears are 4". since the mounting depth is an issue just make some spacers out of 3/4" MDF for the front and the rear. with the spacers, the 5.5 (i think you meant 5 1/4" but i may be wrong) speakers should fit in the back and in the front. personally, i would get some 6.5" speakers for the front.

Check the Cockpit and Cabin forum. This topic has already been beaten to death, there's more than enough reading material in there for you.

Made your mistake by going to best buy for speakers/advice - From what I know, they do everything from a template. :\
    2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    Platinum Silver Metalic

DOB: 12/3/2003

I Support ClubWRX
    There's a fairly serious limit on depth with the fronts. I had to space out some even to get my Infinity References to fit.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I've heard good things about iaperformance.com they make spacers for speakers...I'm planning on using them when I install a new system...still in the planning stages.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

For those who didn't want to look this stuff up:

STOCK:
    Fronts are 5.25"
    Rears are 4"

With some MDF board and spacers, you can get:
    Fronts 6.5"
    Rear 5.25"

I have Kenwood 3-way speakers in my WRX and have no problems. (click the link in my sig - that's why it's there!) They're perfect depth-wise, but the extra tweeter setup makes the middle of the cone touch the black plastic mesh cover for the speakers.

I'd suggest something like Infinity Kappa's that are not very deep. SOOOO many WRX'ers have them in their cars and love em!

PM me for help.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I upgraded the speakers in the front with slightly bigger speakers, and then made my own spacers. It was pretty do-it-yourself and it only costs about .45 cents.
    I had some plastic laying around that I fit to the speakers. I then used some 2" bolts and three nuts on each bolt. Cut the plastic to match up with the existing speaker holes, and your off.

Attach the plastic to the speaker and bolt it on, then use the legth of the bolts as your spacer...and if this makes any sense to you, you need to get out more.

The window goes up and down and does not hit the speaker!!!
    Not all who wander are lost

I work at best buy so I get a huge discount that's why I went there. They don't have infinity. The ones I was interested in were pioneer and kenwood.

6.5 front, 5.25 rear, get the spacers from www.iaperformance.com.

I just picked up some Infinitys and the spacers... I'll be installing them once the speakers arrive... the spacers look like they'll be a perfect fit...

Those look like the EXACT same things I bought back in March 03. They are high quality and work great I'll let you all know!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)