Rattling right above speaker on passenger side door

This is a discussion on Rattling right above speaker on passenger side door within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whenever the speaker in the passenger side door makes a bass sound, it makes a huge rattle right above it. ...

Rattling right above speaker on passenger side door

Whenever the speaker in the passenger side door makes a bass sound, it makes a huge rattle right above it. Any one else have this problem? I guess it isn't hard to take that plastic off to see what is rattling in the door, is it?

much thanks!
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    My guess would be that the speaker is hitting the door panel.

Calvin

My front door speakers also do this. I'm about due for my 15,000mi service, so I'm hoping the dealership will fix for me.

Yeah, I have the same thing. Its coming from the handle to pull the door closed, I just have to take the time to put a little foam or something in there. Lazy me...

There's a tutorial over at scoobymods on how to take the door apart.

I have the same problem! Passenger side front door speaker only. Certain parts of a song make it rattle. Usually bass. It sounds like the speaker is blown. I've had the car for about a month now and it just started 3 days ago. Glad to know its not just me.

Red '04 Wrx, premium package

EVERYBODY HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, everybody with a stock system has this problem to some degree, from the frist 02s to the current 04s. You can dynamat the hell out of your doors, and it might go away or get better, but the only way to really get rid of it is to get some decent speakers and spacers, power them with and amp, and the rattle will go away.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Wow, I have the exact same problem too. I took it to the dealer and told them I thought the speaker was blown, so they replaced it free, but it still does it. I can't tell you how many annoying rattles my '03 has right now, too many to count. . .
    2003 Sedona Red Wagon
    - Upgraded factory stereo
    - Armrest extension package
    - Factory Turbo Guage
    - Debadged and DRL disabled

So what's the answer - Obviously not dealer replacement!
    Is true upgraded (aftermarket) speakers that fit the only solution?
    Oh well, I guess I can add that to my mod list (now its as long as my driveway )

I've tried Kenwood and Infinity speakers, powered off of an Alpine amp and I still get it. But not all the time. Kind of irritating.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

For me (I have the OEM upgraded speakers) the problem is not the speaker itself, its parts in the door resonating. If that's the problem for you too the only solution is damping.

This problem is your speaker extending with lower frequency notes out further, and smacking into the door panel. If you take off your door panel, you'll notice a big plastic ring right where the speaker goes. Cut this off, and maybe grind a little bit of the honeycomb plastic mesh off and your problems will be solved. This is the problem for sure, so don't go waste money on dynamat or something like that

PS, you can see for yourself. While it's rattling away, pull back on the storage pocket in the door panel. It'll go away I bet
    2002 WRX Sedan, Blue.
    Catless, Cobb Stage 2, and so on.

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    Originally posted by Raslian
    This problem is your speaker extending with lower frequency notes out further, and smacking into the door panel. If you take off your door panel, you'll notice a big plastic ring right where the speaker goes. Cut this off, and maybe grind a little bit of the honeycomb plastic mesh off and your problems will be solved. This is the problem for sure, so don't go waste money on dynamat or something like that

PS, you can see for yourself. While it's rattling away, pull back on the storage pocket in the door panel. It'll go away I bet
    word. i've done the ring thing, grinded it away with the Dremel, put a fat towel in the pocket, and I STILL get rattles. I have Boston Pro 6.5 Components, btw. haven't tried to grind down the honey comb though. man, i hate me some rattles.
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes