Fuel line tapping
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fuel line tapping within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am going to install an autometer fuel pressure gauge and I need to know what size/type fittings people have ...

Fuel line tapping

I am going to install an autometer fuel pressure gauge and I need to know what size/type fittings people have used to do this.

I need to tap into the fuel line with an autometer sensor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1/4" works just fine. I used a 1/4" brass T fitting with 1/4" brass barbs and some small hose clamps. I also needed a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the sender, but check the manual that came with the guage. Don't forget to get some thread lock type material. I used teflon tape (Defi's instructions said it would be fine), but they do make a specific type for brake lines IIRC.

Be sure to tap the top line, as that's the high pressure line.

Don't forget to de-pressurize the system first as well.

Disconnect the battery
    Disconnect the connector on the fuel pump
    Reconnect the battery
    Run the car untill it stops
    Disconnect the battery again (getting sick of this yet? )
    Do your work on the FP line
    Reconnect the connector on the fuel pump
    Reconnect the battery
    Turn the key to ON for a second, to let the pump re-pressurize the system
    >Check for leaks!<
    Start up the car to make sure everything's good, and enjoy

When you cut into the line, have a rag on hand and VERY SLOWLY cut into it. That way you avoid spraying gasoline all over the engine bay. If you've got goggles/safety glasses available, wear them just to be safe.

Thanks!

Mad Dog -

I used a similar technique to what you described.

Here were my steps.

1. Assemble brass T and use threadlock. Wait 24 hours for thread lock to cure.

2. Remove gas cap to depressurize fuel system.

3. Disconnect battery. Cover with shop towels. I did this because I was paranoid about sparks.

4. PUT ON SAFETY GOGGLES!

5. Cut into fuel line. I used some surgical scissors. They cut right through. I also covered the area I was cutting with a towel just in case it sprayed. It didn't. Gas just dribbled out.

6. Attach T. Use WD-40 to make it a little easier. Use hose clamps to secure.

7. Here's me being paranoid again....Dump a bucket of water over the engine to wash away any gasoline.

8. Reattach battery.
    Last edited by hotsam; 06-06-2002 at 07:13 AM.

D'oh! I forgot about the gas cap. Silly me.

electronic gauge

Could I do the same thing for an electric gauge? I was told by Blitz it would be easier to attach the sensor at the fuel rail.

Any suggestions?

Re: electronic gauge

Originally posted by Hereitcomes
    Could I do the same thing for an electric gauge? I was told by Blitz it would be easier to attach the sensor at the fuel rail.

Any suggestions?
    The fuel line I used is right before the rails, and right after the filter.

If they're talking about tapping the rail, good luck. Removing the fuel rails is not a job for the weak-hearted.

thanks

I will give that a shot.

Anyone have a diagram of which line I will need to cut/use? I am planning on installing a FP gauge and am just looking for a general idea of how involved it is and what I will need.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

ALi

T for the Fuel Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by hotsam
    6. Attach T. Use WD-40 to make it a little easier. Use hose clamps to secure.
    Where did you exactly install the T? between the Fuel pump and regulator OR between Fuel Pump and the injector? any pics of your set up?

cheers

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.