Amplifer help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Amplifer help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a MA audio 1000XL 10" sub and here are its specs: 500W Rms 1000W Max Dual 4-Ohm Voice ...

Amplifer help

I have a MA audio 1000XL 10" sub and here are its specs:

500W Rms
    1000W Max
    Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coils
    240oz. Double Stacked Magnets
    Mounting Depth: 5.8"
    Mounting Diameter: 9.3
    Optimum Vented Box: 1.75 Cu/Ft
    Round Port Diameter: (2) 4
    Square Port Area: 25 Sq/In
    Port Length: 11
    Optimum Sealed Box: 0.5 1 Cu/Ft

I am trying to find an amp that will push it hard but I dont know how to figure what ohm load will be put on the amp. Here are the amps I am looking at:

http://www.maaudio.com/productcatalog.cfm?class=611

I have the 297 and its ok but it doesnt push the sub to anywhere near it potential. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I assume you want to wire the sub at 2-ohm then? I generally like to have some overhead for powering sub-woofers, so I say get an amp that's maybe 600 W RMS at 2 ohm MONO. I'm not sure all of those MA amps are stable at 2 ohm MONO.
    Last edited by Th3Franz; 12-27-2003 at 04:39 PM.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

is minimum load and stable the same thing? Most of the amps say they are 4 ohm minimum load in MONO.

Well, usually the loader impedance, the more power the amp is pushing. For example, the amp I have is about 1000W at 4 ohms, but if you wire it at 1 ohm it's close to 2000W or so. If an amp is stable at 4-ohm, it might not be stable at 2 or 1 ohm.
    - F r a n z

Reading the specs for the 267, doesn't look like you can do 2ohm mono on that bad boy. 4ohm mono is the way to go. Your amp should be ok (not optimal, but it should move them pretty good).
    What's the size of your box? You want to make sure you got optimal size to get best sound.
    The HK-401SX (high current series) should work for your speaker too.

So if I wire both voice coils to the amp would that make a 2 ohm load? I get so confused with this stuff. And then on mine how would I wire it at 4ohm MONO? Thanks for help.

If you connect the leads in parallel, the impedance will be 2ohm,
    if you do a serial connection, you'll get 8ohms. I would assume you want to go across only one set of leads only for 4ohms. (Im guessing on the last one because I'm not sure is MAAudio does something different with their coils/connections).

If you would do me a favor look at the HK1997 it is rated at 1200w @ 2ohms, 600w @ 4 ohms and so if I ran it at 8 ohms would it put out 300w?

I would wire 2-ohm instead of 8-ohm.. Otherwise you could try 2-ohm with an amp and see how well it works. If the amp gets too warm, then you'll have to try something else. If you had 2 subs, you could wire them at 4 ohm. If you got the amp you mentioned, it would most likely be a really expensive amp to only use for a fraction of the power in my opinion.
    - F r a n z

I had the amp I have now wired at 2 ohms in my last car and it would cut out on big bass hits. I have a cap now so I am hoping that will help with that. I can get the one I am talking about for less than 200 so it wouldnt be too bad. I just dont know what to do.
    Last edited by REX5280; 12-28-2003 at 07:05 PM.

Yeah, caps are kind of a mixed bag. I have a 1-farad capacitor in my current car, but mostly because I do blurps for competitions and stuff. Are the ratings on that amp RMS or peak? Hopefully they are RMS..
    Oh, and perhaps look at the HK-897 if the price is right. You could wire your sub at 2 ohm, and then only use one of the channels from the amp, but not bridging it to MONO. That way you would get 500W at 2 ohm and it should be fine at that.
    Last edited by Th3Franz; 12-28-2003 at 10:44 PM.
    - F r a n z

I can get the 897 for like 180 so I will look into that. Thanks for all the help. I had the 297 wired at 2ohms on the one channel and it was fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.