6.5 Components in the rear deck?

This is a discussion on 6.5 Components in the rear deck? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've done a lot of searching on the speaker sizes in the car and this is what I have come ...

Question 6.5 Components in the rear deck?

I've done a lot of searching on the speaker sizes in the car and this is what I have come up with:

front- 6.5 w/correct spacers <2 in deep (96-99 OBS spacer?)
    front - 5.25 <2 in deep (spacer or no need for spacer?)
    rear- 4 no spacer needed the window doesn't go all the way down and that is what the spacer up front is for
    rear- 5.25 Driver circumfrance limited - no spacer needed
    rear - 6.5 no spacer needed some custom fab. req. - larger driver cutout

I don't want to have to modify the rear door to fit 6.5 and apparently the 5.25 kappa woofers have drivers that are too large for the speaker cutout so I will need to go w/ 4" full range kappas in the rear. so on to my question. I want to put 6.5 infinity kappa components in the rear deck. what size could i really fit on the rear deck since those cutouts on the underside are not circular? I know I will need to fab mounting brackets and I think I have to move some sort of power antenna box (or something?)do you think i should consider 2 8" free air subs? i have no use for a huge box in the trunk and I'm not that into earth shaking bass, I'm more concerned with CLEAN, full sound and properly orientated soundscapes. That's why I haven't really considered 8" free airs because I think it might sound nicer if i had 2 tweeters on the rear deck too. though I guess I could wire in some extra tweeters but the $$$$$ starts to build up......
    mostly this is a what did you do to get sound from the rear deck or am I stupid thread.
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know some people who put 8" subs in the rear deck to create an infinite baffle setup in which the front and rear waves are completely isolated, and they have been happy with it. Free-air is a little different where the front and rear waves from the sub are not separated. Infinite baffle sounds better, and you just mount the sub-woofer to a baffle board to separate the waves. I wouldn't recommend putting tweeters in the rear deck because it might cause imaging problems. Most people like to have rear fill for the mid-low frequencies and have the high frequencies and mids up front for a better soundstage.
    This guy has an infinite baffle setup:
    http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...645_5_full.jpg
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

see I was thinking that having the tweeters in the rear deck would help with imaging since the tweets in the 4" in the door are so low. i figure the highs would bounce off the rear glass quite well where as the low wouldn't matter too much. I still like the idea of the 6.5's in the rear deck better than the 8's though. I could put the tweeters that are in the rear somewhere else like higher up on the door or maybe in the headliner near the rear oh-S**t handles. Thanks for the link.
    Dan

Since I don't own a WRX yet, I don't know how the tweeters are aimed up front. It would be cool to put additional ones somewhere, though.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!