What have I done???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What have I done??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I feel kinda stupid for posting this but here goes. This weekend I was installing some fuel injectors on the ...

What have I done???

I feel kinda stupid for posting this but here goes.

This weekend I was installing some fuel injectors on the driver side of the engine. Anyone who has done this install knows how hard they are to get to. I was trying to find a way for easier access and I noticed this pipe running over the fuel line protector. It was connected right next to the altenator. I figured I would try and remove it to make my life easier. Boy did I get a surprise. After the explosion, I noticed me, my engine, and my garage was covered in the clear oily substance.

I am assuming this was an air conditioner line. If so, come next summer, will my AC work? If not, will this be an easy fix?

Thanks,
    Brendan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    0wn3d. Definitely the A/C line. Not smart.

Gonna have to get the system flushed and recharged which won't be cheap... Anywhere from $100-200 IIRC. Better do it now in the winter when it's cheaper.

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

I would recommend you get it "fixed" as soon as possible.

You may damage your compressor by running it "dry".
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem is the system might attempt to work, and you don't want that. If there is no pressure the system should give up, which is a good thing, but if there is a little pressure and very little oil left, it might keep on trying to kick in and you'd be down a compressor plus ancillaries that'll be contaminated.

See if you still have the O-ring(s) from the piping you removed. If memory serves, you pulled the high pressure side line. You will need to re-secure the line, pull a vacuum to see it's not leaking, flush it thoroughly, add the right amount of lube, and add refrigerant.

This is often less fun than injector work, you might want to go to a reputable AC shop and have them do the work. Should take a couple hours and not cost more than ~200 USDish, less if you fix the line yourself and you luck out (no leaks).

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to be mean, but how was that taste in your mouth? All you have to do is breath a little r134 and you will get the NASTIEST taste in your mouth that just wont go away. Definately fix the leak, and recharge it. If the compressor sits dry it will seize up. It won't run right now because there is a pressure switch that will prevent it from doing so.

Some one told me that the front window defroster uses the A/C compressor. Is this true?

If this is the case than you need to get it fixed right away.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Originally posted by WRC_Obsessed
    Some one told me that the front window defroster uses the A/C compressor. Is this true?
    It's true. That's why I suggested he fix it ASAP. If the compressor does run, but has no lube, he's going to be out a lot of cash to fix.

I Support ClubWRX
    It should't because most systems have a low pressure cut off, but weirder things have happened.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.