Who has put aftermarket speakers in their car?

This is a discussion on Who has put aftermarket speakers in their car? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at installing some better speakers in my sedan, and from crutchfield, I'm seeing that 6.5" in front, and ...

Who has put aftermarket speakers in their car?

I'm looking at installing some better speakers in my sedan, and from crutchfield, I'm seeing that 6.5" in front, and 4" in rear is what I need. I did a search adn found that people have had some problems installing them.

What are some good ones, what are components, and should I get a separate amp if I'm still using the factory head unit (I like the 6-disc). I figure I'd go with something really nice for front, then decent in back. not sure if I'll ever add a sub at this point. With better speakers I won't have to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an '02 wrx and am looking to put a system into it and would like any help also

for what it's worth...i replaced my wrx stock speakers with 6.5 infinity compnents in the front and 4 in in the back..reference series and a mtx thnder 4 channel amp..4244?..with the stock headunit....didn't like the sound at all re: the speaker level convertors....then replaced the h.u. with an alpine 7982?..sounds much better defrinite improvement over stock...dosen't have the bass of a subwoofer system but i like it over all...stereos like all other mods are a "slippery slope"...always something better for more money!!! hope this helps a little blue dream

Originally posted by bluedream
    for what it's worth...i replaced my wrx stock speakers with 6.5 infinity compnents in the front and 4 in in the back..reference series and a mtx thnder 4 channel amp..4244?..with the stock headunit....didn't like the sound at all re: the speaker level convertors....then replaced the h.u. with an alpine 7982?..sounds much better defrinite improvement over stock...dosen't have the bass of a subwoofer system but i like it over all...stereos like all other mods are a "slippery slope"...always something better for more money!!! hope this helps a little blue dream
    How did the speakers fit in the front? Any fitment issues? I hear the front locations are really shallow.
    Thanks
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

I kept the stock HU (I like the changer as well) and added a sub, amp and front speakers. I went with 5 1/4" a/d/s/ separates in front, since I had them from my last car (98 Legacy GT). In order to mount the front speakers, I made some quick and dirty spacers from 3/4" MDF. Just trace the outline of the stock speakers as the outside cut line, and then mount whatever speaker you want in that adaptor. 6 1/2" should fit fine with this adaptor, but you might have issues with the mounting depth with some brands.

I would recommend saving your money and don't buy the rear speakers. I kept the stock speakers, and have them almost totally faded out. Spend it on a sub instead...

I put Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers in the front. I tried the 6.5, but the magnet was just too massive. I went with 5.25s in the front. You have to make a spacer for the speakers, otherwise your window will not go down. It's tricky to get the right distance. If the spacer is too thick, the cone will hit the door panel.

They sound great even with the stock head unit. I'm very happy with them, but I will eventually switch to a new head unit and external amps for the best sound.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Somehow, I ended up spending a fortune on stereo setup for my WRX sedan. It was one of those things where I started with one change and it snowballed....so I ended up with:

Kenwood excelon seperates up front and coaxials in the rear, JL 10 in a custom (www.subee-sound.com) box, Sony (forgot the model, but its the 'good one' $400+) deck, and two MTX amps powering it all. The installer DID have to cut and/or manf. some MDF parts to get the speakers to fit.

It went in stages, over a few weeks.... at first, I just did the speakers, powered by the one amp and coming off a box that took the powered leads off the stock deck and spit out pre-amp RCA's. It sounded terrible.

Then I added the second amp and the sub and box when it came in...sounded like crap, but now shook the car like crazy....not a tight car by no means...rattles started appearing.

Ended up springing for the deck...defintely fuller sounding, but it was like the cars interior and door components couldnt handle it....

Ended up springing for Dynamat in the front doors...partail (1/2) dynamat in the rear doors and dynamatting the trunk lid. It made an AMAZING difference.

I hate to say it, but the interior of the WRX is sorta crappy...my comparison cars are a little much (sold my Saab to get a WRX, friend has a TT, uncle has s4, gf has a 02 jetta)...but they seemed to have doors shut with a little umph. and the road noise isnt as bad, etc. Anyway...after the dynamat I thought I was in a BMW or something. The doors shut with that solid sound...the road noise is half I would say...its that much better. A huge difference and worth the money.

Overall the system sounds great...got few things to iron out..some vibrations in some spots (door panels didnt quite click into place in a few spots...going to take it back to the installer). But overall I am happy. I will be paying it off for two more months, but I am happy with it. It sort of brings the car around. And I get a kick out of people that ride in it and love the performance AND the awesome sound.

Anyway, my suggestion. Do the upgrades, go bezerks if you want..but DO THE DYNAMATTING...it was probably the best upgrade so far...changes the car alot...much more refined.
    -s

Anybody successfully fit 6 x 9 speakers in the back? Not in the rear doors. I'm talking about the area behind the back seat. There seems to be enough space to fit 6 x 9s in there when I looked at it from the trunk.

I used planetaudio speakers front and rear, a little pricey but DEFINETLY worth it. I used a blaupunkt head unit, and a xplod amp. Still waiting for the funds to recover for my sub, but I will say that for highs and mids, the planet audio are awesome. Also, there was NO modification necessary for the fitment of the speakers either. Install took about an hour for the speakers, and another 3 for the amp and head unit. Crutchfield makes a wiring harness, and you can buy just the harness for about 20 bucks. Fit is perfect, and if you need to put the stock radio back in, its a snap.
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

I upgraded the sound system also. I got the after market subwoofer and speakers as a package with the car. Didn’t get screwed but still. Anyways…

The subwoofer is good, not great. The speakers are ineffectual. You should upgrade these immediately. I put in JBL speakers that fit perfectly. The speakers I installed were P-632 and P-432. Basically the 6.5” and 4” Power series speakers. Great sound and frequency range. High end is much better.

The only real problem you will have is the mounting brackets. You will have to fabricate them. The only issue is that the front ones taper ˝ - 1” from top to bottom. So you will need spacers on the bottom. Make sure whoever you have do the install knows that. Luckily the upgrade kit includes a spacer and with some modification (Dremel) I installed the speakers perfectly.

Good luck.

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

Ive had my wrx wagon for a month now. Within the first week i started replacing the factory front speaker with a cerwin vega accurate image 6.1" component set from my old explorer.

I started with the tweeters, and the first thing i noticed was that the brackets are part of the factory tweeter and are glued in very tightly. I never tried acetone to brake the glue cause i figured the intact factory setup might be nice to keep if i ever sell the car. I started by making a wooden braket which was much to thick. The interior door cover wouldn't go back on. The I bought a pair of mending braces fom lowes (about about 75 cents apiece) that were similiar in size to the factory brackets. I bent them in a vise to match the shape of the factory and they worked fine.

Next, I worked with the mid-woofers. As other people have mentioned, a deep speaker causes problems with the windows. Also, i wanted to use factory speaker mounting holes but the triangular speaker mount puts the factory holes out a little further than mine. I just accounted fr the difference when making the mounts. I made the mounts out of 1 " plywood and cut it similiar in shape to the factory speaker. It worked fine.

I also mounted AI PX2 crossovers. We chose the location for the crossovers based on available room on the inside of the interior door panel. When yuo remove them you'll notice a large space just above one of the styrofoam insert. The match matching spot on the door has two sets of raised bunbs that run most of the doors length. IN between these bumbs and inside the door is a sliding component for the window that you don't want to obstruct. However, you can put a screw in the lower bump without causing a problem. In the first door I used rivets to mount the crossover, but in the second door I relized that sheet metal screws work just as well I did have to scrape some of the stryofoam away to ake room for the wires going into the crossovers. It's a tight fit, but it worked well.

Finally, i dynamatted both front doors. The setup works very well and sounds great. I haven't gotten around to replaing the headunit, but i will. (i'm not a fan of cd changers )

ins answer to the question re: fitting the front speakers...i had the car done at circuit city and they didn't mention any fitment problens with the 6.5 in front..the tweeters fit in the stock door handle locations...bluedream

after market system

I have installed the following aftermarket items:

CDT Phase Perfect Components up front
    CDT speakers for the rear
    10 inch Image Dynamics dual voice coil sub
    JL 300/4 amp
    Alpine 7984 HU

The HU powers the rear speakers while the amp powers the fron component and the sub.

This has given me an incredible sound.
    tibikefor2