Valentine 1 review for those thinking of buying one.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Valentine 1 review for those thinking of buying one. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I figure I'll do a comprehensive review of a part of my car right now to help you guys ...

Valentine 1 review for those thinking of buying one.

Well, I figure I'll do a comprehensive review of a part of my car right now to help you guys out if you are in the market for a radar detector.

The Valentine One is right on the top of the list, just above the Passport 8500. Consumer Reports rated the V1 higher for the last couple of years I believe, and there are a few features that sets the V1 apart from the Passport. The only one that I know for certain is the one I will mention in this review.

That one feature that the V1 has over the P8500 is that the V1 can locate radar/laser from behind. This can be helpful if a cop turns out from a side street or is coming up behind you on the highway.

Ok, details about the V1:

It's expensive, and I'm not going to lie. For $450, you get the detector. I know you can get ones for about $70, but when it comes to something this important that can potentially save you from higher insurance, suspended lisences, and points, why settle for something less? I opted to get the Concealed Display ($50) which you can mount anywhere in the car pretty much. I have mine mounted on the steering column in the center, directly to the right of my OEM boost gauge. It attaches with some 3M velcro, and hasn't moved yet. Other people have mounted theirs where the factory Clock location is, under that little area on top of the dashboard. The thing I like about the concealed display is that you dont have to look all the way to the top of your windsheild to see what's going on. Just glance down at your speedo and you can see it. It reads in a red glow, which is very nice, easy on the eyes at night.

The detector makes a couple of nice beeping and chirping sounds when you turn it on, or turn the car on (depending if you hardwired it, like I did). There are three modes you can put the detector in, All Bogeys, Logic, and logic (lower case and upper case L's). logic (lower case) is the preferred mode that I use, and noticed that most other people use. It doesn't flip out all the time, but it still catches every serious threat. There is a very nice volume control, a mute button (that doesn't acutally mute, it just tones it down a lot), and a simple display. It gets radar in all directions. Front, back, and both sides.

The display works as follows: When the detector goes off, it will start with a single beep, and this beep depends on what signal it is from (X, K, Ka, or Laser). The beeps vary with the distance from you and the target, the intensity of their signal, and if it is pointing at you, or close to you. Once you get closer, the beeping becomes more and more frequent until you are locked on, and it is a steady "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" That can, however, get sort of annoying sometimes. It also tells you what direction the signal is coming in, how many there are, and the strenght of each signal. It can also track more than 1 radar at once, so you can avoid speed traps.

Pros:
    Easy to use
    Easy to understand
    Saved me about 7 times from cops. Totally justifies the cost, IMO.
    One of, if not THE best on the market
    Concealed Display
    Plug and play installation
    High quality build
    Durable

Cons:
    Price
    In the dark it is hard to see which red dot says which signal (X, K, Ka, or Laser) because only the dots light up, not the text. I dont have this problem anymore because I know the order of them.
    The Beeping can be annoying sometimes
    Picks up basically EVERYTHING. Motion Detectors, those flashing construction signs on the highway, Supermarket Automatic doors, Taillights of Chevy Trailblazers, and other things.

However, I have thanked this thing so many times. Definitly works. It goes off when I'm driving around a corner and up a hill, only to find a 1/2 mile later, a cop nestled in some woods I never would've even seen if I didn't have this baby. Definitly one of the best modifications you can do to your car.

Hope this helps
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it does- good write up.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I would consider getting one of these but I need a good concealed mounting system. I don't want to have to take it down and pull it out every time I leave the car or get ready to go somewhere. Is there a good place to inconspiculously mount it somewhere that is "out of sight" enough so as to not have to worry about it too much?
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

The only thing that I can think of is to have one of those bands that goes across the top of your windsheild, like those 6" strips. Since those contain metallic what-have-you's in them, you would have to mount the V1 below it. But when you park somewhere questionable, just move the V1 above it so the black strip hides it, so you can't see it from the outside. Problem solved
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Nice write up, you almost sold me one...

well i still think the $70 one will work just as well...
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Originally posted by Nexus6
    well i still think the $70 one will work just as well...

lol, check the numerous tests....
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I ordered my V1 BEFORE I got my WRX and I had a second one for my 350Z. I am a member of the V1 faithful and I wanted to point out that the V! is $399 + shipping, not $450. You get the hardwire kit, wiring, visor mount, sunction cup mount, and extra sunction cups, beautiful instruction manual, etc.

It is the MOST sensitive radar detector on the market and has even saved my ass from instant-on radar guns in the past. I love mine and I literally don't leave home without it.

-Jim

Like Jim, I also ordered mine about a week prior to my WRX arriving in my driveway.

You guys must drive a lot faster than I do. heh. Of course that wouldn't take much.

< Overheard >
    Gramma, slow down, i mean it...

- Para

I've been pulled over so many times that I can't even count them all. I recently averaged 84mph on 168mile trip in my Neon.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    I've been pulled over so many times that I can't even count them all. I recently averaged 84mph on 168mile trip in my Neon.

-Jim
    Dang, dude!
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

If you have the concealed display, where does the main unit get mounted?
    See ya on the Parkway
    MODS

Shiju -- the main unit gets mounted where it normally would, but it appears that the main unit is turned off, as is, there are no lights on it or anything.

Mounting

The V1 can be mounted above the rear view mirror (hardwire running along the edge of the headliner and down the A pillar) and it is basically invisible from the outside of the car. You won't be able to use the little visor/glare reducer flippy thing, but who does anyway? I don't think the concealed display is absolutely necessary, once you have had the V1 for a while you will begin to memorize what sound goes with what band of radar/laser. Best detector I've ever used and it has saved me many times. Expensive, yes, worth every penny, definitely. As a side note; before I had mine hard wired I had it mounted in the middle of the windshield (where most people put them) and was pulled over for a "vision obstruction". Yea it was but they can and will pull you over for anything they want, FYI.

Happy Fuzz Busting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.