Bel 985 Radar Detector

This is a discussion on Bel 985 Radar Detector within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I just ordered a Bel 985 from Costco. 5. Anybody have any experience with it? It seems to get ...

Bel 985 Radar Detector

Well I just ordered a Bel 985 from Costco. $235.

Anybody have any experience with it? It seems to get reviews as good as the Passport 8500, but is a bit less expensive.

I'm not really into the whole bells & whistles thing. I just want reliable and long-range detection. I think the Bell has equal detection as the 8500, but not quite as many features.

I was surprised to see the V1 isn't stacking up against the latest technology, range-wise. That's too bad. I always thought I'd buy one. The arrows are nifty, but I'd slow down no matter where the radar was.

Want a good laugh? The Bel is replacing my 15 year-old Cobra radar detector that only detected X and K band. It paid for itself about a thousand times, though. I think it's broken now. It stopped going off, even for those "Your Speed" signs the police sometimes set up on roads. I think the K-band is broken. It still gives X-band falses in the usual spots.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the exact same model. I even wrote up a hardwire tutorial for it. Search the tutorial section for "Bel hardwire."

It does a nice job of detecting radar. It saved me from at least 3 tickets on my trip from Colorado to Chicago. Nice price too!!
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

i got one also. i think it is less known than passport and v1 but ive been pretty happy with my bel. detection range is nice, sometimes it starts beeping a mile before i see the cop and has very low false signals. it also has some nice features such as voltage meter..
    Leo -
    2004 WRX Sedan (Mommy's Little Monster)
    -=Team Blue Sedan=-

I just bought one about a month ago to replace my old Cobra. Seems to work pretty good so far, but haven't been on any long highway drives yet. I've read so many radar detector reviews and they pretty much all say that you cant go wrong getting either the Passport or the Bel. I saw the Bel on sale at a store by me so I went with that. They are basically the same exact thing.

I've had mine in use for about a year, hasn't let me down yet.

Originally posted by djrez4
    I have the exact same model. I even wrote up a hardwire tutorial for it. Search the tutorial section for "Bel hardwire."
    How about a link? When I do that search, it only comes up with this thread.

I mounted mine with double sided tape on that stupid middle visor thing, ran the wire along the headliner, down the A-pillar and into a cigarette lighter extension from radio shack that you can just tap into an ACC line (the clock) and an earth. The detector comes on automatically when I turn the car on. It's a great detector as well IMHO

Originally posted by BlkWRXWag
    I mounted mine with double sided tape on that stupid middle visor thing, ran the wire along the headliner, down the A-pillar and into a cigarette lighter extension from radio shack that you can just tap into an ACC line (the clock) and an earth. The detector comes on automatically when I turn the car on. It's a great detector as well IMHO
    Why didn't you just wire it into the ACC lead that's in with the maplights for the compass mirror? That's where I did mine. I'm still using the suction mounts though, below the mirror.

I didn't know that way when I did it and I knew where the clock ACC line was from a guage install!

Originally posted by djrez4

It does a nice job of detecting radar. It saved me from at least 3 tickets on my trip from Colorado to Chicago. Nice price too!!
    Originally posted by Wade-0
    How about a link? When I do that search, it only comes up with this thread.
    Yeah I'd like to have this link also.