Just HU or HU&AMP w/ BA RC620?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just HU or HU&AMP w/ BA RC620? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm planning out the system that I'm going to be adding to my wagon... I'm looking at the Alpine 9813 ...

Just HU or HU&AMP w/ BA RC620?

I'm planning out the system that I'm going to be adding to my wagon... I'm looking at the Alpine 9813 that has 27W RMS right out of it. I'm planning on using Boston Acoustics Rally RC620 speakers...I'm just wondering if I should get a different HU and add in an amp to power these speakers. I know its common practice to use an amp w/ good speakers such as these...but would 27W do it adequately? Thx much....I'd definitely rather avoid doing all the extra wiring if possible, but I'm planning on doing Brown Bread and all that stuff anyway...it'll probably be a while before I get all this done, but I'll try and post some pictures of the install once I get around to it.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In my opinion, getting a pretty good external amp will make your speakers sound better than with just the head unit. Your head unit should have RCA outputs for an amplifier to power your speakers, so it should be pretty easy. External amplifiers usually have less noise/distortion besides providing more power. What amp did you have in mind?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

To be honest I hadn't really started looking into amps...ideally I'd need something thats pretty high power (the rating on the RC620s is 20-270W) but is super clean. If I'm going to take the time to put in an amp, and have to rewire all my speakers, it would have to be well worth the improvement over just using the HU. Thanks for the input...do you have any suggestions?

edit: I was just looking at the Alpine MRV-F540...pricey for my orignial budget on this setup...but it looks like it'll fit the bill, if I go that route. BTW I'm going to be putting BA NX57s in the rear doors.
    Last edited by Silva_Wagon; 12-05-2003 at 02:49 PM.

adding an external amp to your speakers rather than using your head unit amp is a MONUMENTAL difference. ur good speakers deserve a powerful amp. if price is an issue you can get a cheaper head unit for around $200-$250 and an amp for a $100-$200. i couldnt find the rms power rating on your speakers but i'm sure u'll want to give them at least 100 watts each. if you'r lookin for a headunit that's cheaper than the alpine but still very good, check out the clarion dxz-835mp on ebay. you can find it for anywhere from $200-$250. normal price is $400 in stores. you can power you'r rear speakers with the head unit and get an amp and bridge it to power you'r components.

Thanks for the add'l help..I think I was leaning towards that, but just needed some reinforcement to spend the extra coin.
    I'm currently leaning towards the Alpine 9807 I think it is...I've always liked Alpine HUs, so I think I'll stick with those.

Do you guys have preferences on amps? I mean pairing an Alpine HU w/ an Alpine amp makes sense, especially since it has a pretty low THD (can't recall exactly what it is) but is that the most important thing to look at beyond power? Thx again.

It's not necessary to pair the same brand amp and head unit together. Yes, a low THD rating is very important. Alpine amps are pretty good, but there are some different manufacturers that make really good amps. So what's your budget for an amp and where do you plan to get it from (aka from an authorized retailer or not)?

EDIT: I did a little searching, and that Alpine amp you mentioned looks pretty good but the MSRP is really high. If you want an amp that's good and not so expensive, I have heard lots of good things about people who have US Acoustics amps.

How loud do you tend to listen to your music? If you like it blaring then you'll want a lot of power, but if you want a clean amp that pushes enough power and still can get pretty loud then the US Acoustics 4065 would be a good deal at $125.99 on SoundDomain.com. It's on sale right now. <.01% THD rating
    Last edited by Th3Franz; 12-08-2003 at 04:21 PM.
    - F r a n z

I'm actually looking at stuff from www.hookedontronics.com, they seem to have a lot of good prices, although I'm unsure if they're an authorized dealer...thats just important for warranties right?

Yeah, I'd say I like moderate sound levels, I have a really weird array of musical tastes, but I'm looking for really crisp sound (If Bose made aftermarket car audio stuff I might look at that...) I don't have a budget for the amp, but I'm trying to keep the whole project (powered sub, speakers, wire harnesses, amp, power cables, HU, adapters, damping material) under 1500 or so.

That US Acoustics sounds like it could do the trick...thx...I'll check that out.

I figure, since I'm getting into detail, I might as well add the full details on what I'm planning on doing...

Basically I'm going to add B-Quiet Brown Bread to the doors, and the trunk area, with a layer of their V-Comp to the front doors. I'm going to add in the HU ( still liking the Alpine 9807 for a lower-power solution) The Boston Acoustic Rally RC620 in the front, NX57 in the rears, and power them by whatever amp I get (I do like the idea of getting a 2 channel amp and just powering the fronts....leaving the rears up to the 23W RMS or so provided by the HU..but then again using the amp to power all 4 is a lot complete...) I've gone back and forth on what to do about the low end, but I think its going to be an Infinity Basslink...not looking to rattle my car apart...just fill out the low end of the system. So thats the whole story...isn't going to happen for a while since I'm going to get it all at once...and I need to save some pennies first. Thanks for the input already..and in advance for any more thoughts you guys have!

Sounds like a good plan but I recommend just going with a 4-channel amp anyway. That US Acoustics amp has it's rated power at only 12.9 volts, so at 14.1 volts it can push more power. One of my friends has an Infinity basslink and it sounds quite good for an all-in-one sub-woofer solution. When I installed my first system I saved and waited until I had what I wanted. Every time I ride in a car without good bass it just seems so weird. Good luck man.
    - F r a n z

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.