how does this "sound"?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on how does this "sound"? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; O.K. I went looking for a stereo setup for the STi I plan on getting in Jan./Feb. This is what ...

how does this "sound"?

O.K. I went looking for a stereo setup for the STi I plan on getting in Jan./Feb. This is what i think Ive decided on:

MB Quart Premium PCE 216 components for the front.
    MB Quart DFiscus DKE 116 for the rear
    Eclipse 12" Titanium sub - single
    OBCON Godzilla enclosure
    Eclipse DA7122 D class amp
    Eclipse CD8443 headunit

This setup is a bit pricey but just 1 10" in the godzilla enclosuer made the 2 Infinity Kappas I had seem lame. It matched there perfomance if not exceeded it. And i typically HATE ported boxes.
    I wanted to use two subs, but the amp I would need pulls 200 amps and the last car (eclipse) they tried it in, on a hard hit, would kill the car off. Complete shutdown. They ended up installing two extra batterys to prevent it. I know this helps but id perfer an upgraded altenator. Has anyone done this? I know it was brough up befor but cant seem to find the post, and dont rember anyone replying back on wether it worked for them. Supposedly SOA said the upgraded alt would fry the ECU. I dont see how but does anyone have ant info on this or the parts Ive selected for the stereo? Thanks. Id really like to have everything picked out before I get the car.
    You shut your MOUTH when you're talkin to me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow sounds like you're willing to spend some serious cash, but that setup looks to be a great SQ setup in my opinion. On NASIOC a guy was selling upgraded alternators, but I never heard of a higher output alternator affecting an ECU. His user name is "ruiner" I believe.

pulling 200 amps for two subs?! That seems awfully high unless the power handling of the subs is insane and you have an amp pushing tons of power..

Anyway, good choices on the STI and stereo stuff.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I checked for an upgreaded alternator and only found two companies that sold them to fix the ej20 in the impreza chassis (that's key, not that its a WRX or STI). Unfortunately the price was over $600 in each case and it also required an external mounted regulator. No thanks, dont have the $$$ just for that.

also, with that much power for you sub, be sure to apply a LOT of dynamat (or something similar) in the back of the car and trunk area. It WILL rattle and buzz like HELL!!!!!!!!

you did not mention which amp and how much power for the other speakers?

the Eclipse deck is a nice one with 8 volts of output (max. of course) and a great looking face. Enjoy it.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

HEHE!......Yeah......I'll be adding Dyanamat Xtreme . As for power for the mids, Im going to try my kenwood 150w amp or my PS500 75w x 4 amp. Im sure I'll be fixing rattles for months on end .Oh well......gives me something to do and I love working on cars, so its not ALL that bad . I'm skipping the spray in bed linner. I've heard it can be done but no one has had any expierience with it. I wont be taking any chances .

well, I did the bed liner in my trunk and it stunk for a while and honestly, it helped a little, but it is not like applying spray dynamat or even their extreme. In order for the bed liner stuff to be really effective, I say you have to add like three to four coats. That can get expensive! stay with the ps500 for mids and highs.

AWSOME! Finally some feedback on bedliner! Thanks man! Yeah, I'll stick with the Extreme.

yeah, no prob.

I was told it would be the same as spray on dynamat. Well, I found out it wasnt. Although it did quiet down some of the rattles, but not worth the effort and dealing with the smell!!

BTW, pay close attention to the rear deck, there are some unused speaker holes that will cause your rear deck to vibrate like crazy. Also, the middle seat belt tensioner and the third brake lite like to rattle also. Hope that helps and have fun..

Man I can't wait to get a WRX and go dynamat crazy. I haven't dynamatted my current car since I'll be getting rid of it in a few months. The main thing that bugs me is how bad the trunk rattles.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.