STI looking HUD gauges

This is a discussion on STI looking HUD gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As I am planning to use the gauge pod area for a stereo head unit and double Din area for ...

SRR

STI looking HUD gauges

As I am planning to use the gauge pod area for a stereo head unit and double Din area for a LCD nav system. I was wondering how I could add some STI looking gauges. So far I was looking at a A-Pillar setup with Omori gauges for the red needle and red letters on black look. That may have now just changed.

I just seen a show on TV that showed a proto type HUD display that they plan on releasing in January. I went to their web site
    http://www.bigbuddyperformance.com/holo.htm
    http://www.bigbuddyperformance.com/g...gauge_Pics.jpg

I inquired about the flexiblity in types of gauges and color and got the following responce....
    We currently plan on having the basic HoloSport( HUD ready for general availability around January. It will be priced comparable to conventional gauges at MSRP of $486. We are working on getting distributors up and running. The basic system comes with Tachometer, Vacuum/Boost, Oil or Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Volts. Also included is a programmable shift light, a NOS arming and activation light. All of these functions can be viewed at the same time or each separately.

Additional expansion cards w/ senders (included) will be available for $80 to $125 MSRP depending on the function. These include functions such as speed, exhaust gas temp, air/fuel ratio, stereo amplifier temp, and NOS level. There is a limit as to how many of these can be added because the display gets crowded.

The dash unit measures 7"x7"x1-1/4" and we supply all the necessary senders for universal installation. For the individual that wants to mount it flush under the dash we have an under dash mounting system available. This of course requires cutting a hole in the dash.

The image displays directly on the windshield but you need to apply our clear proprietary film (supplied) for the best results. This is to eliminate the distracting double image you often see when something is reflected off of the dash onto the windshield. We condition the optical properties so that you get a nice single crisp image of the display. We also have an optional Tombstone display much like the fighter pilots have in their aircraft. These are available for an additional $127.50 MSRP.

The unit will be available in three-color choices; green, red/orange, and blue. It turns out that due to availability the only color available initially will be the red/orange. We are having the web site updated to reflect this. We have also designed and patented the system to work in daylight. There are two settings because the light required for daylight operation is to bright for nighttime use.

I hope this was informative and thanks for considering the HoloSport( product.

What kind of car do you have?

What other modifications are you considering?

Brett Catterall
    I think I have found my solution. Yippie. To bad its release is too late for xmas. Ha
    Last edited by SRR; 11-24-2003 at 05:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

SRR
    You guys might pester them for a STI specific setup.
    Mabie even a green or green / blue WRX setup.

are these gauges going to be wired to the factory in dash versions. if so aren't they just idiot lights? also can you change the color on the hud? is there a way to recess it into the dash for a more stealth/factory look? keep me posted I am interested.
    04 wrb STI
    02 sedona wrx/wagon: options, differential cover, short shifter, boost gauge, stereo STAYING STOCK. SOLD
    99 silver mustang gt: tbp race cobra engine, speed pro computer, full suspension, boost soon to come. SOLD

SRR
    This is a standalone unit. Just like Omori Dephi or any other gauge setup. Its not just idiot lights.

I dont think you can change the color with out ordering another display unit.
    The unit will be available in three-color choices; green, red/orange, and blue. It turns out that due to availability the only color available initially will be the red/orange.
    As far as flush mounting I dont know if the sti dash had enough room but the company said this to me....
    For the individual that wants to mount it flush under the dash we have an under dash mounting system available. This of course requires cutting a hole in the dash.

I have heard that Prodrive offers a HUD system on their cars. is this set up similar? does Prodrive sell their system by itself?
    04 wrb STI
    02 sedona wrx/wagon: options, differential cover, short shifter, boost gauge, stereo STAYING STOCK. SOLD
    99 silver mustang gt: tbp race cobra engine, speed pro computer, full suspension, boost soon to come. SOLD

Defi has something similar out already for alot less too I might add.
    http://www.edoperformance.com/produc...ls.php?pid=138

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe the Defi unit needs their Control Unit II to work, which makes them about the same price.

In fact, I've used the Defi before, and it's a pretty good unit, but this bigbuddy system looks a little more user friendly, and from the prices, the senders look to be less expensive.

One thing I would ask them though before purchasing is if it uses an auto dim/bright function for situations like tunnels, as they can get distractingly bright in these situations.

I'm a big fan of HUDs...they work great, and the information is right in front of you without being intrusive. Since it looks like you might not have to cut a hole in your dash, thats even better IMHO.

good luck

edit: just noted the buddyboy system can also function as a data logger. Nice touch!
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 11-29-2003 at 07:51 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

http://www.edoperformance.com/produ...ils.php?pid=138

link doesn't seem to be working. anyone know another place?
    04 wrb STI