STI alarm: stock, stock fix, aftermaket?

This is a discussion on STI alarm: stock, stock fix, aftermaket? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all. I just purchased a STI. And now have concerns about the stock alarm. I have heard the stock ...

SRR

Question STI alarm: stock, stock fix, aftermarket?

Hello all.

I just purchased a STI. And now have concerns about the stock alarm. I have heard the stock alarm is not that good. But how its not good I am not sure from the posts that say this. I take it that the easy way for crooks to get in is to pop the drivers window and then pop the hood release and pop the battery cable. Mabie 20 seconds at most. Is there more to it than that? Is the stock alarm wireing that easily accessed / defeated?

I am trying to decide if I want to fix the current alarm IE hood lock / battery backup / internal pain alarm piezo, relocation of alarm stuff (tell me if I am off track) or go with a two way paging one. Suggestions?

Of the two way paging ones the only ones with battery backup are the sirens themselfs. Are there some with I have not found? Is this how that works? -> The Siren gets 12v and signal wires to them. If the 12 v goes away it goes off or if it gets signal it goes off. Am I correct on this? This bothers me a bit because you often disconnect the battery for various servicing / upgrading of stuff. I would like to put the siren in a very difficult to access area. That would make it a pain whenever I want to disconnect the battery. Am I wrong on how those work?

Of the two way ones I like the idea of built in turbo timer / remote start and option for trunk release (additional solenoid required).

The ones I am leaning toward are Viper 791VX ( or other Directed equivalent) and the Autopage RS-850lcd for features and from what I have read the least problems and the Compustar 2WSS for range.

http://www.directed.com/security/vip..._responder.asp
    http://www.autopageusa.com/Products/2Way/rs850.htm
    http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html

Any recomendations?

I take it the longer range ones have antennas. How do you protect them from just being broken off? Bury them in a seat back, dash, or wing?

Is there any major threats against the 120 Bit Random Code Hopping of the viper / autopage or the Spread Spectrum of the Compustar? IE easily defeatable with scanners / transmitters?

With battery backup systems do you backup the alarm or just the siren? If you backup the alarm is it as simple as installing a small (motorcycle / gell cell) battery with battery isolator? Are there alarm specific battery backups available?

So far none of this seems too expensive if I do it myself. I realize that you should tuck the stuff as far up out of reach under the dash or anywhere else as possible. Also to make the wireing look as factory as possible so there is not much indication as to what to cut / short to defeat. IE use wire looms and possible extra wireing that goes no where but looks more aftermarket as a distraction. Also make the hood harder to pop. Is there any other suggestions I should know about?

I am pritty good with electronics. Soldering / heatshrink / diagrams / electronics and have a EE degree but have never installed a alarm before and may not have a good understanding of the common loopholes to avoid. Anything I failed to mention?

Sorry for the long post but trying to fill in the gaps I have come across in doing searches and reading for the last 4 days.

Much thanks for any help.
    Scott
    Last edited by SRR; 11-21-2003 at 12:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

TRM
    when you say stock security system, do you mean the upgraded system that comes on the STi?

for the record i don't put much faith in alarms which make sound. no one pays attention to them anyway.

i prefer a fuel pump kill + starter kill that can't be defeated without hours of labor. they can always flat bed it away. but then the normal thug looking to joy ride or rip out the good bits won't be able to drive it off.

SRR
    Yes the upgraded system. sorry.

I do agree most alarms dont do much with just siren. Thats why I was thinking two way type alarms.

Fuel cutoff, mabie ECU power cut, or Spark power cut should all work for keeping it from being driven off. I agree starter kill on a manual is somewhat worthless.

I might even add a extra hidden kill switch to any of those above.

Please answer any questions I had in the original post if you know something I dont.

Anyone mess with the GSP tracking systems available? That and lojack are about the only defense against flat bedding.

Thanks
    Scott

Compustar is the way to go. That way you can have a remote starter also, which has a built in turbo timer. Also has a starter kill relay. Offers more protection than the upgrade by far.