How to Get to Cigarette Lighter Wires
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How to Get to Cigarette Lighter Wires within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'd like to tap my cigarette lighter wires for power. Trouble is, I can't seem to get at them. Can ...

How to Get to Cigarette Lighter Wires

I'd like to tap my cigarette lighter wires for power. Trouble is, I can't seem to get at them.

Can someone describe what needs to come off, and how to get it off? Pictures would be great if you've got 'em. I don't want to break anything by forcing panels.

Thanks!
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm wondering this question too.
    '03 white rex

1. Pull out drink holder.
    2. remove two screws it was hiding.
    3. pull out bezel around stereo/temp controls, just pull out from the top.
    4. remove head unit (remove CDs first).
    5. remove screws holding temperature controls.
    6. slide/twist temperature controls upwards.
    7. the wires are now exposed.
    8. the plug leading from the harness to the lighter is mounted to a metal piece, just pull and twist it until it pops out.
    or you could use quick-splices to tap into the wires where they are.

I did this when i spliced in a 3-port lighter adapter. i mounted it behind the glove box for semi-permanent things that need less than 12v (XM, GPS).

I got the idea from this mod:
    Scoobymods - 12v
    -------=======>>>>>
    '03 Blue sedan.
    Pretty much it.

Thanks! I was hoping it would be easier than that. I hate to go in and disconnect the head unit and HVAC controls just for this. (I love that smiley.)

Maybe I'll find a different power source. Fuse taps or something.

Just pull it all out. I didn't want to either. It's not that big of a deal. If i had to do it again it would only take 5-10 minutes.
    I'm glad i did it because now i have no fear of dismantling my dash/console.

You don't need to disconnect the temperature stuff, just remove two screws and push the module up.
    -------=======>>>>>
    '03 Blue sedan.
    Pretty much it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.