Which size is better for rear speakers with no amp? 4" or 5 1/4"
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which size is better for rear speakers with no amp? 4" or 5 1/4" within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting a new head unit but will not have the money for front components and an amp for awhile, ...

Which size is better for rear speakers with no amp? 4" or 5 1/4"

I'm getting a new head unit but will not have the money for front components and an amp for awhile, if not ever. However I do want to replace the rears with some <$100 coax speakers to help clean it up a little.

I will stay with something that recommends no more then 30 to 45 RMS and my head unit will probably run 22 to 23 RMS.

Is it even worth getting new speakers? Should I go 4" or 5 1/4" speakers?

Thanks
    2002 Aspen White:

AVO Turbo-back, AVO TMIC, AVO BOV, AVO Short RAM Intake, AVO 15lb Wastegate Actuator, 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 tires on 17x7 ADR wheels, SPO Front and Rear Sway bars, H&R Springs, STI Hoodscoop, STI Grill

1983 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 121,000 original miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes, get the new speakers. I dont know if you've seen what the factory speakers look like, but they are cheesy!!! Anyway, with proper modification, 5 1/4 should fit just fine. Any well known brand with a rating of 40-60 watts should work out fine. However, I think it is ten times more important to have the best front speakers possible. Even to the point of leaving the rear one's stock.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

You can get cheap decent speakers for less than $100 a pair... like these :-

Alpine SPS170

Alpine SPS 100A

These would sound pretty good with your new head, obviously the more you spend the better sound gets, (until you hit the law of dimininshing returns)

godd choices ludecrous. However, I have to stay with my initial observation that the FRONT speakers are the MOST important.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

Thanks I will for sure do the fronts first. I know the stock speakers are crap I just don't want to put anything new into the fronts that I can't power correctly.

I'll probably hold out for some infinity components and an amp.

Thanks, for your help
    2002 Aspen White:

AVO Turbo-back, AVO TMIC, AVO BOV, AVO Short RAM Intake, AVO 15lb Wastegate Actuator, 225/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4 tires on 17x7 ADR wheels, SPO Front and Rear Sway bars, H&R Springs, STI Hoodscoop, STI Grill

1983 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 121,000 original miles

Yeah front speakers are the most important, in my opinion, too. I can hardly hear the rear speakers with my sub-woofers blaring.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

are you sure that 5 1/4" speakers will fit? I know that they will sound better than 4" Speakers no doubt. Usually the bigger the speaker, the higher the sensativity rating is, the more sound you get out of them for the same amount of power. You also have stronger midbass.

**edit**
    It turns out that even though crutchfield says 4" front and back, infinity claims 5.25" front and back. I plan on going with infinity kappa components up front (factory location) and infinity kappa rears.
    Last edited by keystah; 11-25-2003 at 07:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.