guage advice needed, oil, egt, ???

This is a discussion on guage advice needed, oil, egt, ??? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have the subyís stock 3-gauge dash pod (boost, volts, temp) and want to get a 3-gauge A pillar. I'm ...

guage advice needed, oil, egt, ???

I have the subyís stock 3-gauge dash pod (boost, volts, temp) and want to get a 3-gauge A pillar.

I'm most likely going with Autometer Sport Comp's because they'll match the color scheme of the interior really well with the black faces and alloy "lip", plus i had a sport comp a/f and boost gauge in my civic and liked them.

I definitely want an air fuel gauge. What should I fill the other two spots with?

Iím thinking like an
    - oil temp
    - oil pressure.
    - Egt
    - intake temp (is this the same as cylinder head temp?)

Any other suggestions, which two would be best for running a stage 4 (pe1818 or 18g, fmic, pe650ís, walbro 255, utec, blitz ebc (dual cylenoid), etc. 12 second quarter mile setup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

boost, egt, oil pressure - investigate gauges with peak memory, this may be a useful feature for you

what does the peak memory feature offer?

is this like data logging with the utec, making it able to go back and look at what just happened?

yes it will record the max, so you don't have to have your eye on the gauge all the time. Also there are some with warning settings ie, set boost warning at 14psi and buzzer and or light will go off when reaches that. Take a look at Greddy or Defi Gauges. I think it's a useful feature.

will the utec log all this stuff too? if so i'll pry stick with the less expensive autometers.

the boost controller will watch max boost. so will the utec watch egt's and oil pressure?

why should i go with oil pressure over oil temp?

why should i go with egt over cylinderhead temp?

oh and after doing some reading i'll be going with electrical over mechanical gauges

utec - I dunno enough ebout utec - defer

boost controller will watch max boost...kinda... gauge will give you a real picture, it's just a measuring device.

egt's because it's an indicator of how lean / rich you are.

you already kinda have oil temp on your current cluster hence oil pressure...just my 0.02 though. Some could equally argue that oil temp indicates more situations than say a loss of pressure.

you dont need a.f unless you have wide band o2. the readings on the a/f gauge will be incorrect. All you really need is boost, egt and oil temp. intake temperature is not the same as cylinder head temp, as intake temp measures the temperature of incoming air, and the cylinder head temp is the temperature of the cylinder head itself.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    you dont need a.f unless you have wide band o2. the readings on the a/f gauge will be incorrect. All you really need is boost, egt and oil temp. intake temperature is not the same as cylinder head temp, as intake temp measures the temperature of incoming air, and the cylinder head temp is the temperature of the cylinder head itself.
    i know the a/f wont be 100% accurate but will allow to me make sure i'm not runnin to dangerously lean at any point.

will oil temp and pressure tell me the same thing, one just responds quicker?

is my temp gauge in the stock cluster measuring basiaclly the same thing as oil temp?

well its time to buy the gauges,

i'm going with oil pressure, egt, and a/f (because i cant decide on something else)

i checked my stock bezel and the third gauge is labelled "temp"...is this messuring oil temp then?

also the autometer sport comp oil pressure gauge reads up to 100 psi, will that be high enough? what reading should i expect?

thanks
    Last edited by j-speed racer; 03-24-2004 at 10:33 PM.
    '02 silver sooby
    blitz spec r ebc (7 lbs daily, 15.5 spirited, 17 at the track)...turbo xs rfl...vishnu catless uppipe...turbo xs catless downpipe...turbo xs catless catback...k&n drop in filter...step colder plugs...walbro 255...zex wet kit w/purge (55 shot)