Outside Temp Gauge?

This is a discussion on Outside Temp Gauge? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anybody point me to a good outside temperature gauge? Digital preferred, of course. Something that might beep or flash ...

Outside Temp Gauge?

Can anybody point me to a good outside temperature gauge?

Digital preferred, of course. Something that might beep or flash if the temp falls below freezing is a plus.

Also looking for something that isn't ghetto. Has to fit in the rex and look nice.

Thanks!
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After much searching, I settled on this:Thermometer

Not sure where I'm going to put it. I think it will fit in the area to the left of the dash cup holder. If not there, then up on the middle sun visor.

If you can find a whistler 3300 or 3400 radar detector they have one built in.
    Now: 04 WRB STi (stock)

I still don't understand why car manufacturers don't put a simple thermometer in every car. It's a good safety feature in my opinion because there have been numerous cases where I have driven in the rain and I knew the temperature was right around freezing from the thermometer. I'll at least have another reason to get a radar detector now, though.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

If that fits in the left cupholder spot, I would love to see an installed picture....
    Roger L
    F15DOC
    2003 WRX - Sold
    1995 3000GT VR4 Spyder
    199 Mercedes Benz CLK430
    http://gemini.tntech.edu/~trthompson21/SPYDER3.GIF

Originally posted by F15DOC
    If that fits in the left cupholder spot, I would love to see an installed picture....
    Not the best pictures, but you may get the idea.

At the moment I've got it stuck on there with the velcro tape they supplied with it.

You can see in the second picture where the wires went. They just slipped under the bezel. Not too ghetto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxtherm1.jpg  

Second picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxtherm2.jpg  

Where did you mount your sensor?

VtJim,

I just received mine today. Where did you mount your sensor? I know the instructions suggest the door jam, but in reading the internet reviews of similar products, they mention there is often a 10* difference between the actual outside temp and what's registering on your gauge.

Did you mount your sensor there? or did you find a better place to locate it?

Thanks,

Al

At first I had it stuffed into a rubber hole that I found in the door frame. It was reading about 10 degrees too warm, so I had to move it.

I wound up snaking it underneath some molding and out under the windshield. Passenger side. If you look at the lower corner of the windshield, just below that there's a rubber flappy thing that I guess is there for some water protection. I tucked the sensor right under there.

So far it seems pretty accurate.

The wire is only visible when the passenger door is open, and if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't even notice it.

I've wanted this for a long time. I don't know if it's the same in the US or not but in Canada both the Impreza Outback Sport and the STi have outside air temp displays in the console. It bugs me that the WRX doesn't get it.

I've also done a lot of searching and I haven't found one that's exactly what I want. I've been thinking of just making one on my own. If I get around to it I'll post the results here

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    I still don't understand why car manufacturers don't put a simple thermometer in every car.
    It's stock on my euro spec car..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    Check my mod list for the one I had with instructions. Scoobymods is down right now, though.

It's the MY98 Digital Gauge Pack.

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

vtjim, how well does that one work? I bought a $15 one from a local auto parts and in extreme hot and cold (85+ and 20-) the cheap display just goes black. It's generally junk. Readings seem ok when it's working. I've got the sensor snaked out to the front of the car and stuck to the underside of the grill by the Subaru logo.

Vostok, why did you remove the gauge pack? Did you get a pod instead? The only down sides I can see is no clock and redundant compass with the mirror. Otherwise I like that option. A little pricey from what I can see at subaruparts.com, 180 for the gauge pack and 62 for the housing (It's under 99 Impreza Utility and Convenience if anyone is looking for it)

Edit: Just remembered also. If you do a search you can find a mirror with autodimming, compass and outside temp display. They run >$200 though.
    Last edited by randy98mtu; 12-04-2003 at 08:52 AM.
    '04 JBP Wagon 5MT