Blue LED's in HVAC not bright enough?

This is a discussion on Blue LED's in HVAC not bright enough? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone done this mod, and found the blue LED's not to be bright enough? I followed the instructions from ...

Blue LED's in HVAC not bright enough?

Has anyone done this mod, and found the blue LED's not to be bright enough? I followed the instructions from Scoobymods/NASIOC using the blue LED's from Radio Shack (p/n #276-316) and the 330 ohm resistor (p/n #271-1315).

The LED's seem to provide a bright light eminating from the center, but not the sides of the LED. Thus, the HVAC area is illuminated unevenly. The original bulbs illuminated the entire HVAC area in all directions from the light source.

The previous seaches showed pics and comments about how bright these LED's were, and how they were almost brighter than stock.

Any suggestions on what I may have missed?

Thanks,

Al

(PS - The anodes ARE connected correctly with the resistors, otherwise it wouldn't light up)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had to make my own setup using 6 leds...3 for each socket..i faced them all different directions

can someone post a link to this page i would like to do the mod

Here's the zip file for the Blue LED mod...

These are the mod directions in a zip file. Just download it to your PC and unzip it.

I've tried using two LED's per socket in parallel, but it then creates two bright spots on the HVAC faceplate, and the remainder shows up dimmer. Are there "omni-directional" LED's around?

- Al
    Attached Files

tan
    That's the biggest "drawback" of LED's. It really shoot light in one direction, unlike regular light bulbs

Take a dremel and flatten out the LED heads instead of them being rounded, shorter and flat = wide beam not narrow. Search NASIOC if I remember right and a guy had done it to his honda accord and shows how to do it.

Its an easy mod I'll be doing soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hvac lights.jpg  
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

They sell LEDs with wide-spread pattern, they might work for you. For example (top left)

I used the 4-bulb version that is next to the wide-spread kind. It's plenty bright but there's a slightly brighter spot in the middle. I can deal with it though.

tan
    red IMO is better

Flatten the LED's!

Thanks for the suggestions! I did a Google search and found that Honda site regarding Dremel'ing the LED's to create a wider "flood" pattern. The difference in the lighting of the HVAC area is huge. I did mount an extra LED in each socket, for a total of 4 (flattened) LED's.

- Al

What are these LEDs like? Do they just plug in to the sockets like a standard bulb or did you have to jerry rig it somehow?

hey that's my car
    stage 4 w/ stock ic
    0-60 4.27
    v. 7.5 akane ai

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...d=1#post946280

My friend who has a STI changed all of the lights inside his car to red, to match the dash. It looked like you were riding in a stealth bomber at night. Made me want a STI even more

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Why do people use LED's?

The dash uses 74 incandescent bulbs, which are .99 cents each. You buy them in the color you want, or paint them with model paint, and then they are direct replacement for the factory bulbs. No soldering or anything.

The best way IMO is replacing the stereo and HVAC and boost guage bulbs, painting the boost gauge needle, and painting the guage cluster.
    '03 white rex